Chapter 36

1 Month later

Nathan

I stared at the package and the letter on my desk that Janice just dropped off at my office.

"It's been a pleasure, Mr. Carter," she said. I didn't even have to ask and I knew that one of the papers she dropped off at my desk was her resignation letter. I didn't try to stop her, mostly because I've been drunk since noon and it was now well past 7 pm.

I didn't expect anything less, not with my life going in a downward spiral right now. It's been a little over a month since Claire did that Livestream online and my life has been turned upside down. It wasn't long until I got a very angry phone call from my father telling me that I lost any chance I had in politics, not with this scandal over my head.

I downed the rest of my drink and opened up Janice's resignation letter. It was very impersonal and straight to the point but I didn't think much of it. Janice was a diligent personal assistant but I treated her like shit. Oh well, it's not like I'm going to need a personal assistant any time soon.

I put Janice's resignation letter down and opened up the package. A piece of paper and a ring fell out of the opening. My heart stopped when I realized it was the promise ring I gave Claire months ago, promising her a future together.

I unfolded the paper carefully and at first, glance saw that Claire had written me a letter.

To: Nathan,

I never thought I'd have to write a breakup letter to you. I've gone over in my head so many times about how to go about this. I had every intention of taking the ring to the pawnshop or throwing it in the ocean but then I would remember the boy who took care of me the first time I met you at the frat party when I was too drunk. That was the guy I fell in love with.

I used to admire how career-driven you were but it was only when Beth came into my life did I realize that a person can be both career-focused as well as make time for the people they love. I've always wondered if you really loved me because if you did, why would you want to hide us? I came so close to asking this question so many times in the past, but I was afraid of your answer. Deep down, I think I always knew what your answer would've been but I just figured ignorance is bliss.

You were my first love, Nathan. Nothing will change that. I want to chalk it up to us growing apart rather than together but ultimately I didn't like the way you treated me like I wasn't a priority in your life and maybe it's my fault for letting you get away with it for so long.

I really hope that you treat the next woman better than you treated me because I do want you to be happy Nathan. I know that you're probably angry at Beth and me but you have no one to be upset at but yourself. You made the decision to bring Beth and me together and the decision to release information that wasn't yours to share.

As much as I'm angry at you, I'm mostly just sad that our relationship ended like this. Take this last letter as my form of closure, you're free to respond but just know that you won't get an answer from me. I think it's best we move on and as a parting gift, I've somehow convinced Beth not to sue for breaking the NDA that you drew up. I'd like to say that in a couple of years we can reconnect as friends, but there's too much damage, Nathan. I really do wish the best for you.

Warm Regards,

Claire

I stared at the sheet of paper my eyes reading her letter line by line over and over again. I couldn't even be mad at her, everything she said in the letter was true and now I was paying the consequences of my actions or lack thereof.