Chapter 33

Claire

I stared out of the window trying to come up with points I wanted to tell Beth but I was coming up with a blank.

"So, what are you going to say to her?" Emily asked.

I shook my head and sighed, "I have no idea, everything's like jumbled up in my head right now and I can't seem to organize my thoughts."

"What do you think she'll say?"

"Honestly, I'm more scared she won't say anything to me, that I'll bare my heart to her and she won't even blink twice," I exhaled and balled my hands into fists. "I guess it's better to tell her what I feel for her and if it doesn't work it as I planned, then at least I know that I tried and she'll have the financial stability I know she needs."

Emily drove in silence, which was kind of unusual because she was anything but quiet.

"There's something I may have forgotten to tell you..."

I looked over at her but she kept her attention on the road, "Beth came to me a couple of weeks ago to give me back the cheque that Nathan gave her at the beginning of this whole contract thing."

I narrowed my eyes, "why would she do that? That was the only thing she was getting out of this whole contract."

"I really don't think you want to hear the reason."

I rolled my eyes at her, "spit it out already.'

She sighed, "she gave back the money because she wanted to prove that what she felt for you was real and that taking the money invalidated her feelings for you." She shrugged, "she also hated Nathan for more reasons than you think so I knew that keeping the money felt like dirty cash to her."

I sat back in my seat, of course, Beth would return the money it was such a Beth move and even though it warmed my heart because of the intention behind her decision, it made me even more nervous for her reaction to when I would see her.

"You're right, I shouldn't have asked."

* * * *

Beth

"Joe," I greeted when I opened the door.

He smiled, "I was in the neighbourhood and thought I'd stop by."

I raised an eyebrow at him but opened the door wider so he could come in, "let's just pretend that I believe you."

He took a seat on the couch while I grabbed him a beer from the fridge.

"I really was just in the neighbourhood," he chuckled.

I handed him the bottle with an unimpressed look on my face.

"Alright, fine," he took a swig from the bottle, "I'm hiding from my wife. She's been hovering over me ever since I quit my job."

I laughed, "how did I know that was the reason? But you're more than welcome to stay however long you like here, I don't have anywhere to go today," I clinked his bottle with mine and we drank in silence until he put his drink on the table and rested his elbow on his knees, "there's another reason why I stopped by."

I took another sip from my bottle, "it's because you missed this face so much right?"

He smiled but it didn't quite look right, "it's about you, Claire, and Nathan."

Before he could continue, there was another knock on the door.

"Hold that thought, Joe," I said standing up.