Chapter 17

Beth

Claire I and pushed our bags onto the front porch where mom and Charlie stood, waiting for us to say bye.

"Alright, I think we're gonna head out," I gesture to the car, "I hope we can beat traffic."

Charlie hugged me, "See you at Christmas, I guess?"

"You know, you could come to visit Claire and me in LA sometime you know," I offered, "well, Claire might be busy, but if you ever want to hang out for a couple of days, just let me know and I'll pick you up."

Before I moved out the first time with Justin, Charlie and I were close. She always came to me with advice on school, boys, and how to get mom to let up on rules. We aren't as close anymore with the distance and I knew Charlie missed the connection as much as I had.

She looked up at me, "really?"

"Of course," I said with a smile.

"I'm probably going to be really annoying though," Charlie replied.

"No doubt you're gonna be a pain in my ass," I agreed and shrugged my shoulders, "if anything you'll be extra annoying because we haven't seen each other in a while."

She laughed and nodded, "yeah, you're probably right."

I hit her lightly on the arm, "be good. I don't want any phone calls from mom talking about how much trouble you're making."

She gave me a cheeky grin and nodded before making her way to Claire.

Claire and mom pulled away, both of their faces smiling. "Take care of my girl, Miss Claire. She may seem tough but she's a big pile of mush inside."

Claire laughed and looked at me, "you couldn't keep me away if you tried." I felt my face turn red and the butterflies in my stomach at her comment. She walked past me to go say bye to Charlie but not before giving me a wink and smile.

"it was so nice to meet you, Claire," I heard Charlie say. "If you ever need ugly photos of my sister, I'm your girl."

I opened my mouth for a snarky reply when mom held my face in her hands, "have a safe trip, don't forget to call me and make sure-"

I laughed as I put my hand over hers, "I know mama, I know."

She let out an embarrassed laugh, "ok," she looked me in the eyes, "just...be happy."

I looked past at Claire who was hunched over Charlie's phone grinning. I looked back at mom, "I am, Ma."

Mom gave me a tight hug and a kiss on the forehead before she moved out of the way.

"Oh, you have to send me this one," I heard Claire say excitedly as I approached her and my sister.

I put my hands around Claire's waist, touching her like this seemed so natural. "I don't think it's in Charlie's best interest to give you anything, babe." I leaned over Claire and glared at my sister, "not unless you want me to tell mom where you really were New Years' Eve 2017," I whispered.

Charlie froze, then looked up at Claire, "on second thought, these pictures aren't even embarrassing. They're actually kind of normal-looking," she gave me a look before she slipped past us and stood next to mom.

Claire laughed and shook her head. We took our bags and got into the car, Charlie and mom walking arm and arm to see us off.

I turned the car on and rolled down the window as mom bent down to the window, "you be good, Elizabeth. I don't want to be reading about all your shenanigans on the Tweeter."