Chapter 7

Claire

I was pulled from my sleep by my phone ringing on my nightstand. I groaned as I reached over and saw the time. The light illuminated my face and Emily and her sons' faces filled my screen. 

I swiped and put the phone up to my ear, "this better be important, Em. It is too early for any human interaction." I put a hand up to the bridge of the nose and closed my eyes, annoyed.

"Uh...did you forget that you had to be on set today?" She asked.

My eyes snapped open and I jumped out of bed, "holy shit, holy shit, holy shit." I bolted out of bed and grabbed clean clothes. I was the newest actor on set and showing up late was the last thing I wanted to show everyone. 

I ran to the washroom and started brushing my teeth with on hand while I set the phone down, "just give me 5 minutes, I can be down in less than 5 minutes," I said with my mouth full of toothpaste. I started running my fingers through my hair, hoping it would tame it. 

I spit into the sink and washed my face, looking at my makeup-less reflection. Emily suddenly appeared standing in the doorway as she hung up the phone. "I've heard your 5-minute promise since college. I didn't believe it then and I don't believe it now." 

I wiped my face with a towel and grabbed the face moisturizer on the counter, "I'm pretty much done getting ready," I argued.

She raised an eyebrow and eyed my outfit, "so you're going to work in pajamas?"

I looked down at myself and realized I still hadn't changed. "Crap," I huffed as I pushed past her. I could hear her laughing as I ran back to my room. 

When I finally finished getting dressed, I ran to the kitchen and found Em leaning on the island casually drinking a coffee and reading a magazine. 

"Bish, we don't have time for coffee or leisure reading!" I whisper yelled knowing that Beth was most likely still sleeping. I was about to pull her towards the elevator when she tapped on her watch, "I changed the time on your phone, we have 45 minutes until you're expected to be on set."

I blinked, "what?" 

She turned back to the magazine, "you're late to everything, Claire. So, I found a solution," she answered not looking up from the page. "This is a cute picture, don't you think?" She flipped to the front page of the magazine and me and Beth's smiling faces were plastered on the front. 

I groaned as I poured myself a cup of coffee, "I could've been ready on time, you don't know that." 

She gave me an unimpressed look and shook her head, "the day you're on time is the day I'll give up day drinking."

I chuckled as I took a sip, "which you should probably do anyway, the amount of alcohol you consume is a bit concerning."

Em shrugged, "listen, I'm here for a good time, not a long time." 

I laughed out loud, "you're a mother, Em." 

"and I pray for the little monsters every day," she smiled. She drained her mug and smacked her lips, "ready to go?" 

I drained my mug and nodded, "all ready." I put our mugs in the sink but stopped, "wait, should I make breakfast for Beth?" 

Emily smirked, "you're really trying to play the part of Beth's girlfriend aren't you?"

I rolled my eyes, "It's just to make her more comfortable. She came in really late last night and I just thought it'd be nice if she woke up to some breakfast."

Emily raised an eyebrow, "and? You've never made me breakfast and I've been your best friend for years."

"I made you breakfast all the time in college! you were just too hungover to remember," I deadpanned.