Chapter 24

Nathan

After the meeting I had with Amy Cook and she agreed to the plan, I felt a lot better about the situation.

"Mr. Carter."

I looked up from my monitor, surprised that Joeseph was still in the room. Normally when I dismissed clients, he walked out with them.

"Yes, Joeseph, what can I do for you?" I asked my attention back on the monitor in front of me. I had a feeling he was going to ask me again about taking a vacation at the end of the year, even after I said it wasn't possible. It was so hard to find people with a good work ethic nowadays.

He rolled his shoulders and took a deep breath, "I'd like to formally resign from my position."

I stood up and looked at him, confusion was written on my face, "you what?"

He stared at me square in the face, "I understand that our families have done business for generations but I simply can't stand for what you're about to do to both Claire and Beth." He stalked towards the door.

"You can't do this!" I yelled after him.

"I'll honor my commitment to the contract," he said turning around, "but for Beth and Claire." He walked towards me with a frown on his face, "I've done security for a lot of shit heads but you're by far the worst." His jaw tensed and I thought he was going to hit me, but instead, he turned on his heel and headed towards the door again.

"Just remember, you signed an NDA when I first hired you. So anything that was said in my office is confidential," I gave him a smirk knowing that he was probably going to warn Claire, Beth and Emily about the conversation that just took place, "It's just one less thing your father and grandfather would be disappointed in about you," I shrugged, "4 generations and all."

He narrowed his eyes at me but didn't say anything. Instead, he turned the doorknob and left my office.

I sunk into my seat and pressed the intercom on my desk.

"Yes, Mr. Carter," I heard Janice's voice come out of the box.

"Let Elite Security know that we have an opening and look into filling the position." I took my finger off the button and leaned back in my chair, this wasn't a setback, not at all. Joeseph was expendable, my relationship with Claire wasn't and I was going to do anything and everything to keep it that way.

Claire

I walked onto the set with Jessica, "Thank God this is the last take," she sighed.

I chuckled, "I agree, these clothes are getting so uncomfortable." The tight black pencil I was wearing kept riding up no matter how many times I tried pulling it down.

Jessica gave me a sympathetic smile, "Thank God they at least gave me comfortable clothing in this scene."

I gave her a once over, jealous that she got to wear jeans and a sweater.

"Are you busy this weekend?" she asked.

I was helping Beth move into her new place this weekend. Everything felt like it was going too fast. She told me at the beginning of the week that they found a place, the next day she officially signed to buy it, and now she was moving in.

We were up late for the last couple of nights packing Beth's clothes back into boxes. I tried to stop the smile on my face as the memory of it came to mind.

Last night

Beth and I sat across from each other folding clothes while she hummed softly.