Chapter 29

Claire

I heard the elevator doors open but I knew it wasn't Beth so I didn't bother getting up from the floor. I wasn't sure how long I had been lying on the floor but I assumed it had to be a couple of hours. 

"Claire!" I heard Emily yell, "where the hell have you been? why aren't you answering your p-" She gasped, looking around the room and noticed that all the furniture was overturned, glasses were smashed, and papers scattered on the floor.

"Claire, did someone break into your house?" Em shrieked as she started running around the room, "was it that bastard, Jenkins again?"

"No, it wasn't him," I mumbled.

Em came back into the living room, "then who did this?" she asked still frantic.

"I did," I answered closing my eyes. Trashing your own place with a broken heart really takes up a lot of energy.

I heard Emily let out a frustrated sigh, "Claire, what the hell is going on? Are you drunk or something? and where's Beth? does she know who robbed you guys?"

I ignored her questions but my heart ached hearing Beth's name, "Beth's gone."

Emily pulled a chair closer to me and sat down, "what do you mean Beth's gone? To work or something?"

I couldn't stop the tears from falling and tried to hide it by covering my face but it didn't matter, Emily could hear the whimpers coming from me.

"Claire," I felt her get up from the chair and kneel beside me, "what's going on?" I felt her hands gently lift me up into a sitting position.

"I broke up with Beth," I cried onto Emily's shoulder. It had been a long time since she's seen me so upset that I could feel her get nervous. But she quickly recovered by putting her arm around me.

"What happened?" she asked in a soothing voice. It was the first time she has ever used that tone with me and it gave me a look at how motherly side which was a little odd.

I shook my head while I wiped my tears, "it doesn't matter, she's gone and after the things I said to her, I would've left too." My eyes started filling with tears again, "but I already miss her so much."

"So go talk to her."

I shook my head and the tears came out faster now, "I can't, I just can't." I started crying so hard that I started hyperventilating.

"Claire," Emily said in a stern voice, "breath," she acted out taking slow deep breaths and I followed along, eventually getting my breathing back to normal.

Emily wiped the tears from my eyes as she pulled out her phone, "I'll let Jonathon know that you won't be coming in today."

I stood up slowly shaking my head, "no, it's not professional for me to not show up for work because of personal reasons."

"Trust me," she said putting the phone to her ear, "I'm doing you and everyone on set, especially Natalie a favor. You look like you've seen and been through shit that no amount of makeup will cover up."

I sniffled and wiped the remaining tears from my eyes, "thanks, you really know how to make a girl feel better," I deadpanned.

She winked and started talking on the phone, "Hi Jonathan, how are you?" I heard his voice talking from the other side, "listen," she started, "I'm sorry to spring this on you so last minute, but unfortunately Claire can't come in today at all. I forgot to tell you she has a ton of interviews lined up for the next couple of days."

I sat still, listening to him talk, and Emily's shoulders relaxed, "thanks for understanding Jonathan, she'll be back on set as soon as possible." She hung up the phone and let out a sigh, "alright, I bought you a couple of days to get your emotions in order." She bent down to move the coffee table upright but I stopped her, "why?" she asked with a confused expression.