Chapter 23

Nathan

I clenched my fists in a ball as I scrolled through the numerous pictures of Claire and that tramp kissing in front of some dingy bar. I have no idea what that woman has said to Claire but she wasn't herself when we talked on the phone.

I really was sorry I couldn't make it on the trip. Anne surprised me with a trip with our fathers and I couldn't get out of it. I tried giving her every excuse I could think of, but once I saw the look in my father's eye, I knew I was taking that trip. I really thought Claire would understand so I was a bit surprised when she was cold on the phone, I mean I sent her an expensive bouquet of flowers as an apology for God's sake!

There was a knock on the door and Janice, my assistant appeared, "Mr. Carter," she held up a manila envelope, "the contract you were looking for."

I sprung up from my seat, "thank you, Janice." I opened up the envelope and pulled out Beth's copy of the contract. Ever since I gave Janice the task of stopping by Claire's apartment to look for Beth's contract, I had been a nervous wreck. There were so many things that could go wrong, and maybe it was wrong of me to snoop through her place but in order to get everything back to normal, and with the damn contract ending in less than 2 weeks I needed that contract, and here it was in my hands now. I couldn't even tell you the relief it brought me.

She handed me the key Claire gave me to her penthouse when she first moved in, "the young lady you wanted me to call is here as well."

I looked up, "thank you, please send her in." I tucked the key in my pocket and placed the envelope on the table.

Janice opened the door again and Amy Cook walked inside escorted by Joeseph. He closed the door behind them, clasping his hands together.

"Hello, Ms. Cook," I extended my hand for a handshake, "thank you for taking the time to meet me today, please have a seat."

She gave me a wary expression, "I was told that it was in my best interest to attend."

I gave her a smile and sat down in my own chair behind my desk, "I think it's in both of our best interests that we have this meeting." I leaned back, "It's come to my attention that you're acquaintances with Beth James."

She frowned crossing her arms in front of her, "if that's the definition for side bitches who ruin relationships, then yeah, we'll go with acquaintances."

"I'm sorry to hear that she was responsible for the end of your relationship," I leaned forward and put my elbows on the desk, "but what if I told you that there was a way that you could get her back, 100 times worse?"

I watched her sit straighter in her seat, "I'm listening."

I grinned and slid the envelope to her, "I think we're going to work well together, Ms. Cook."

Beth

For the next two weeks, Claire and I had sex whenever and wherever we could; in the shower, while we were making dinner, in her dressing room, in the car, we even had a quickie in the elevator on the way to work one morning.

I just couldn't keep my hands off of her and it was apparent that Claire had the same mentality because she was usually the one to initiate it. But as much fun as we were having ever since we both confessed our feelings for one another, I had a lot of things running through my mind. What did this mean for us?

I genuinely think that I was close to telling her I loved her and that was both scary and exciting for me. It's been so long since I've opened my heart out to anyone and I honestly prepared to spend the rest of my life alone, being the cool aunt to Charlie's kids. But then Claire came along and made me feel things but most importantly she made me feel good about myself. She made me forget about the bad days at work I would have with just a hug and being with her made me feel like I was becoming a better person. I mean, I can't even remember the last time I had to use any kind of force at the bar!