Chapter 20

Beth

I sat at the bar nursing a beer bottle in my hand as Jamie talked animatedly about her trip on my left. Claire sat on my right, sipping on a glass of red wine talking to Emily.

I felt really bad because ever since I got to Eric's, Jamie had been monopolizing most of my time and attention. I had barely gotten around to introducing Claire and Emily to everyone before Jamie found me again. I reached over and put my hand on Claire's thigh as a small way to apologize for leaving her for most of the night.

Jamie eyed the ring on my hand Claire bought me, "so you and Claire Edwards have been dating a while?"

I tilted my head and thought, "it's been almost 3 months" That was actually crazy to me, it didn't even feel that long but the thought that my relationship with Claire was over in a little over a month made me feel a little sad.

"So it's still a new relationship," She put her hand on the bar just inches from where my arm was resting. "Have you always been interested in women?"

On my right, Claire put her hand on mine that was still on her thigh and squeezed.

"I mean, I've always appreciated women's beauty," I retracted my arm from the bar not comfortable with how Jamie kept inching her fingers towards me, "but Claire was the first girl I actually had the guts to want to be with." A warm wave of tingles took over my body as I said that.

I wasn't sure if Jamie was flirting or not, but if she was, I was hoping this would curve her interest.

She rested her head in her hand instead after I pulled my hand away, "fair enough. So what do you think about my beauty?"

My eyes went wide, "I-"

"Beth, come on, let's set up and warm up," Eric called me from the stage.

Oh, thank God.

I hopped off the stool, "excuse me," I said to Jamie before she could press me even more.

Claire

My back was turned to Beth as I talked to Emily, or tried to at least. This Jamie girl was being so obvious with her interest in Beth but what I couldn't understand was her complete disregard for our relationship. I was protective of Beth and I've met my fair share of fake girls working in the industry and Jamie had fake written all over her.

From the corner of my eye, I could see Jamie inching closer to Beth and I could feel the green-headed monster rearing its ugly head. Until I felt Beth put her hand on my leg, I looked down at it and intertwined our fingers together.

I stared down at our interlocked hands for a second, marveling at how well our hands fit in each other, a perfect fit. Beth suddenly pulled away, got up from her stool and gave me a kiss on the side of my head before she left to go set up on stage.

"So, have you told Beth yet?" Emily asked taking a sip of her wine.

"Told Beth what?"

"How you feel about her," she answered nonchalantly.

I watched as Jamie followed Beth to a table right in front of the stage, I rolled my eyes, she really was getting on my nerves, "You know what?" I drained the wine in my glass, "I will tell her how I feel." I slapped my palm on the bar, "tonight!"

"Really?" Emily asked surprised, "does it have anything to do with the girl that can't keep it in her pants?"

"I'm glad you're finally embracing that nickname," I joked.

"Haha very funny," her eyes widened, "Omg I forgot to check in with the baby sitter, I told her I'd check on her every hour and I haven't once. I'll be right back," she scurried out the front door.