Chapter 26

Claire

I sat on the couch with a glass of wine in my hand. Joe came by early this morning and mentioned that Nathan wanted to speak with her, which seemed a little strange because he didn't mention anything to me.

But to be fair, we haven't spoken since that phone call where I brushed him off. I took a sip from my glass, wondering what could be taking her so long.

Beth suddenly emerged from the elevator with a soft smile on her face.

"Hey," she grinned, "a little early to be drinking wine isn't it?" she swiped my glass from my hands and took a sip herself.

"It's never too early to drink," I joked.

"I like the way you think," she replied.

I took my glass back, "and I like you." I laughed when the tips of her ears started to turn light pink.

She plopped down on the couch next to me, "so, what do you want to do today?"

Normally, I would've already been at an interview promoting the new movie with Jessica, but Emily texted me this morning that it was rescheduled. So, that meant that I had a free day. Which was perfect because I wanted to spend the day with Beth.

I stole back my glass from her and swirled the red liquid around, "I was thinking we could go for a walk?"

She snickered, "a walk? are we the elderly now?"

I hit her arm, "I didn't mean now. I was thinking we could go out for dinner and then go watch the sunset."

She gave me a cheeky smile, "that sounds romantic." She poked me in the side which made me jump, "Is that what you're doing? Trying to sweep me off my feet?" She poked me again and I started giggling, "Beth, stop it." I tried moving away from her but she took that opportunity to start tickling my sides.

I let out a loud laugh and tried to shift away from her but her hands just followed me. Eventually, she had me cornered between the armrest and her body. "Say Uncle!" she demanded with a grin on her face.

I tried wiggling away from her, still howling with laughter, "Uncle! Uncle!" I yelled.

She retracted her hands from my body and sat back with a triumphant grin on her face.

I caught my breath for a second, my heart beating fast in my chest, and my cheeks hurting from smiling so much.

"There she is," she said beside me. I turned to find her already looking at me with a soft smile on her face.

"A day without seeing you smile is a day wasted," she finished. She and started blushing and cleared her throat, "I-I mean, you know, whatever," she shrugged.

Another smile found its way to my face and I sat up, leaning in giving her a kiss. Her lips moved against mine and I pulled away slightly, "thank you for being here," I whispered.

"Always," she said back before hooking her hand behind my ear, guiding me back to her lips.

Beth

Claire drove to dinner, which was a little weird because if we were driving anywhere, it was usually me driving.

I glanced over at her and just admired how beautiful she looked. She had her sunglasses on, her brown hair in loose curls, and she looked so hot in a leather jacket.

Claire reached over the console and held my hand, I gave her a hand a small squeeze and looked over at her again.

"What?" She said impatiently when I didn't look away.