Chapter 13

Claire

I sat in the passenger seat looking out the window. If everything went according to plan, I would've been looking outside a plane window on the way to Paris with Nathan.

6 hours before

I sat down in the uncomfortable seats in the waiting area. Midnight was quickly approaching and I still hadn't heard from him. This was pretty common though, Nathan always running late to our dates. I should be annoyed and angry at him but then he'll flash me that smile I fell for and always have a box of chocolates and a bouquet of roses as an apology. I forgave him every time.

I watched as Nathan's private jet appeared at the window coming down the tarmac and skidding to a stop. I turned my head towards the entrance, waiting for Nathan to waltz through it, with the same smile and his hands full, smiling.

* * * * *

"Claire?"

I scooted into the backseat of the Lyft, "that's me," I pasted a smile on my face.

The driver looked at me in the rearview mirror, "coming back from vacation?" she asked as she pulled away from the curb.

"Yeah, a much-needed vacation," I lied.

The driver chuckled, "I hear that. I really wish I was on a trip this weekend rather than working."

"You and me both," I thought to myself. Pulling out my phone, I texted Emily not knowing if she was up yet.

Me: hey! Wanna grab breakfast?

A reply came almost immediately, surprising me.

Em: if you're asking to make me jealous that you're in Paris it's working. Lol but I'm actually on my way to my parents' with Andrew and the kids. It's kind of a reunion kind of thing.

Em: how was your flight?

My thumbs paused at the question, Emily knew that Nathan and I were going to Paris for the weekend. But I was always apprehensive about telling her about my relationship problems with Nathan because she already didn't like him.

Me: it was fine :) went pretty fast actually.

Em: Must be nice lol

Em: I'd say have fun but that would be super fake of me. so instead, I'll say I hope you choke momentarily on a baguette while you overlook the Eiffel Tower lol

Em: I say all of that with love :)

I rolled my eyes at her messages with a smile.

The car pulled over a couple of blocks from my building. The driver turned around with a shy smile on her face, "Has anyone ever told you, you look exactly like the actress, Claire Edwards."

I laughed as I put my hand on the door handle," I get that a lot, "I stepped out of the car, "thank you for the ride." I smiled as I shut the door and walked towards my building.

As I rode the elevator up, I couldn't help but think about how pathetic I was. Waiting over 5 hours at an airport for your boyfriend only to get stood up, with no phone calls, no text messages, no explanation.

I needed a glass a wine, or maybe 3.

Beth

We got further away from the city and I couldn't be any happier. I was a little apprehensive about Claire coming. To be honest, I didn't expect her to yes to my invitation to come. I was really just trying to be nice. Especially since I've been actively avoiding her for a couple of weeks, so this weekend should be lovely.