Chapter 4

Beth

Do you know what's worse than moving? Nothing. I don't understand how people love doing this.

I spent the last 2 days folding clothes, packing up all my stuff into boxes, and talking to the superintendent about breaking my lease. He wasn't very happy about that. 

I looked at the multiple boxes that littered my floor and put my hands on my hips. I shook my head as I sighed, I couldn't believe that I packed everything up, only to unpack all of it once I got to Claire Edwards' house, which by the way I still can't believe is happening.

I thought back to when I signed that contract, an uncomfortable feeling in my stomach but I just thought it was that breakfast burrito I had this morning.

There was a knock at my door that interrupted my thoughts about my questionable bowel movements.

I opened the door to Emily and Mr. Muscle man - whose name I learned is Joseph - walked in smiling, "what can we do to help?" Emily asked.

"Oh you don't need to help," I gestured to my now empty apartment and a few boxes, "as you can see, I don't have a lot of things to move."

Joseph picked up a box, "perfect, that means we won't have to do too many trips," he smiled at me.

I nodded as Emily and I picked up boxes, "is it weird that even though I pretty much packed my life into these boxes, I still can't believe this is real?"

We walked down the hallway and waited for the elevator. Emily laughed, "its definitely not just you, Claire was freaking out about it the last couple of days too."

"Do you think this is a bad idea? This whole contract relationship thing I mean," we stepped onto the elevator and traveled down to the ground floor.

Emily waited for me to exit, "I can't say that it's a normal occurrence, but that's why you and Claire have Joseph and I. It's our job to make sure it goes smoothly for the next month."

She must have seen the apprehensive look on my face because she grinned at me, "and don't worry, we're really good at our jobs." She dropped the box into the back of the SUV and walked back into the apartment.

"I hope so," I mumbled to myself as I watched her leave.

Claire

"I can't wait to work with you," I shook the director's hand.

"Likewise, I've seen your work, Claire and I have to say, you're one of the best especially for an up and comer," he replied.

I nodded as he gave my hand one more squeeze before turning his attention to another cast member.

We just finished the first table read for a new movie I was cast in. It wasn't a lead role, but I didn't care. I was just happy to have work at all especially as a teen actress who is venturing into more mature roles. 

I was on my way out when I was stopped by the lead actress of the movie, Jessica Davenport.

"Claire Edwards, it's so nice to finally meet you," she shook my hand, "I'm a fan."

My eyebrows shot up because, what? Jessica Davenport just said she was a fan? "Thank you so much, you have no idea how much I look up to you," I cringed at how much I sounded like a fangirl.

"That's so sweet," she beamed. She leaned forward making sure no one heard our conversation, "I don't usually listen to gossip or tabloids, but is it true?"

It took a minute for me to register what she was talking about and then it hit me, she was talking about Beth and me.

"It's a new relationship," I smiled weakly.