Chapter 2

Beth

"Hey, Beth! The group of guys in the far corner requested that you take their drink orders," one of my coworkers called.

I stopped wiping down the bar and turned to the other bartender, Eric, "sometimes I really hate being a woman." I threw the wet cloth on the counter and proceeded to walk around the bar.

Eric smiled, "think of it this way, at least you'll get a good amount of tips tonight," he replied as he dried beer glasses.

Our conversation was interrupted when we heard whistling from the corner of the bar, "hey toots! We ain't got all night," one of the buffoons announced while the rest of the group of men hollered around him.

I rolled my eyes and looked at Eric, "if I didn't need money so much, I'd smash a bottle over all their heads."

I watched him inspect a cup, "yeah, but that'd be bad for business."

I rolled my eyes as I made my way to the loud group of men.

"Hey guys, can I get you anything to drink?"

"3 pitchers of Stella," one of the guys ordered.

I nodded and was about to turn away when I felt rough hands on my waist. I looked down to my right to see a guy almost twice my age grinning up at me.

"And your number," sleazebag added

I maneuvered out of his reach, "I'm taken," I lied. I watched as he tried to snake his arm around me again, "please don't touch me," I asked in a stern voice.

"Oh come on! How do you expect us to keep our hands to ourselves when you look like that?"

I looked down at what I was wearing, black ripped skinny jeans paired with a tight white v neck and my converse shoes. This comment infuriated me because it didn't matter whether or not I was wearing sweatpants or a party dress. Men shouldn't use women's choice of clothing as an excuse to be pigs.

I smiled sweetly at him, "well I guess basic social etiquette is just too much to ask for from a Neanderthal."

I tried to contain a grin as I watched his stupid face gape at me in surprise. "Alright, so 3 pitchers of Stella coming up."

"A neanderthal?" He repeated.

"Yup," I replied popping the P at the end. I turned and made my way back to the bar when I heard a chair screech.

I closed my eyes, "oh god, he's about to make a scene," I mumbled.

I felt a large hand on my shoulder as he spun me around, "say that to my face!"

"If you weren't paying attention the first time, I did say it to your face," I countered.

I felt his grip on my shoulder tighten, he pulled me by my shirt, but I expertly navigated out of his grip, pushing him away.

People around us gasped as he stumbled back a couple steps and proceeded to run at me full speed. I dodged his attempt to hit me and put him in an arm lock.

Thank goodness mom put me in Tae Kwon Do growing up because I've had to use it quite a bit in my adult life.

The bouncer immediately took him out of my lock and escorted him out. Like, thanks dude for the backup, but where were you 5 minutes ago when he was pretending to play bull?

"Elizabeth"

I turned around to the eyes of the owner of the bar, Dave. There was disappointment in his eyes. He gestured to his office with his head, which I reluctantly followed.