Chapter 3

Claire

I woke up to the sound of my alarm, groaning I rolled over trying to silence it without opening my eyes.

I didn't sleep well, which wasn't a surprise seeing as Nathan and I agreed that being seen with each other was too risky at the moment.

My heart hurt knowing that Nathan's father, George had a hold on his son's life to the point where it affected mine as well.

I pulled a robe on and went to the kitchen to pour myself a cup of coffee.

I heard the elevator ding knowing that it was Em. Looking in a mirror, I was thankful that the only thing I had scheduled today was with my trainer at the gym. I looked tired.

"Claire!" I heard Emily shriek.

"In here!" I called from the kitchen.

I saw Emily scurrying into the kitchen carrying her laptop and her phone, "we have a huge problem."

My face went white, "did they find out about me and Nathan's relationship?"

"No, worse," she answered opening her laptop. "We need to do a conference call with Nathan."

My heart started beating fast, if we had to do a conference call with Nathan then it was a problem.

He picked up after the second ring, his face happy at seeing my face, "good morning, beautiful." I took the laptop and sat on the couch grinning, "good morning handsome."

"Urgh it's too early for you guys to be this gross," Emily commented.

"Stop being mean," I countered, "now what has got your panties in a twist so early in the morning?"

"My undergarments are none of your concern, Claire," she threw her phone literally at my chest, "read this," she grabbed the laptop to explain the situation to Nathan.

"Um, ow," I picked up the phone from my chest, rubbing where it hit.

"That so didn't hurt, you have enough boobage for the both of us," she said.

"Pervert," I muttered, placing a protective hand over my chest.

I stared at the phone and for a minute it didn't register what I was reading.

Who is Claire Edwards' blonde beauty?

The image of the girl getting into the car with me and a grainy picture of Nathan and I hugging in the alley filled the screen of the phone.

My eyes went wide as I realized that they thought the girl was my date that night and they thought it was her I was hugging in the alleyway.

"We need to find her Emily, did you get her name?" I heard Nathan say from the laptop.

Em scrunched her face, "Beth! Her name was Beth! I have her apartment address too."

"Great, I'll send someone over and meet you there?"

Emily nodded her head.

"Can I see Claire for a minute?"

I walked in front of the screen looking at my boyfriend. "Hey honey, this just got a little more complicated but it'll all work out," it sounded like he was trying to convince himself more than me.

I nodded my head, not saying anything. A small voice was heard in the background and I saw Nathan's face turn hard before returning to the screen, "sorry love, I have a meeting I have to go to. I love you!"