Chapter 19

Claire

"Really good job today, Claire," Jonathon complimented as I walked past him.

"Thanks," I smiled feeling confident, "see you tomorrow, Jon."

He gave me a nod before looking back at the monitor in front of him.

Emily came up beside me, "you have some press interviews and appearances with Brett next week." I nodded mindlessly and kept walking to my dressing room. She handed me my phone, "and Beth texted you a couple of times."

I snatched the phone from her hands and opened up my messages.

Beth: hey babe :) I hope work's going ok for you. I was hoping to take you up on that dinner that I apparently owe you tonight. Even though you cheated, I'll be the bigger person this time ;)

Beth: shoot, I meant to send a happy face...just pretend that was a smiley face...

I couldn't help but laugh at her texts. My fingers started tapping out a response.

Me: It's about time you honored your loss

Me: You're also a very sore loser lol

Beth: do you want dinner or what woman?! lol

Me: yes please :) I should be home in an hour :)

Beth: mmkay :) so you soon

I put my phone down and started packing up. Emily stared at me with a skeptical look on her face, "eager to get home?"

"Yeah," I responded not looking up, "plans with Beth tonight."

"You guys are getting pretty close now," Emily pointed out. I started changing into my own clothes, "yeah, we've finally gotten past that awkward phase," I chuckled.

Emily didn't say anything but she did narrow her eyes at me before she handed me my cardigan.

"What?" I asked putting it on.

She put her hands up in defense, "nothing, but if I didn't know any better, it's like you like her." I clenched down on my jaw, was I that obvious? I decided to feign ignorance and frowned, "of course I do. Isn't that what everyone wanted?"

Emily gave me an unimpressed look, "'like' as in you wanna rip her clothes off like."

I threw my cardigan at her which she caught with a laugh, "Em!"

"Ok fine!" she threw my cardigan back at me, "maybe not at that stage yet, but it does seem like you have a big fat crush on her." She started making obnoxious kissing gestures that earned a punch in the arm.

"I don't have a crush on her,"I looked away, frustration and annoyance clear on my face, "let's go, Beth said she's taking me out for dinner."

Emily didn't say anything and followed me out into the parking lot. I walked with fast strides to the car, angry at what Emily said. She was wrong, I didn't like Beth like that.

*  *  *  *  *

I heard the music even from inside the elevator as it brought me up to the penthouse.

I turned the corner and found Beth in the kitchen swaying softly to the music as she was plating something. Something inside made my heartbeat faster and put a smile on my face. Then I remembered what Emily said and the smile slipped off my face.

She turned around with the pan in her hand, "oh, you're home!" she turned to look at the time, "you're early, I wasn't expecting you for another 15 minutes." She looked around the kitchen at her mess, "I was going to clean up and plate dinner before you got home," she said with a sheepish smile.