Chapter 4

chapter 4 || twinkle, little star

     Yanan's mother was shaking off sugar on his suit because he was already dressed up for the party when he grabbed a donut wrapped in sugar and ate it. "Aiyoo, you're so careless. And why is Elkie picking you up instead of you picking her up? I know you are just friends, but she's still a lady, Yanan."

     "I told her I'd pick her up but she said she managed to borrow a car." He said defensively, his voice sounding bigger than it actually was because his mouth was full.

     "And you're going to let her drive in her dress? Get out, right now. Go, pick her up!" His mom pushed him towards the door.

     "Mom! Seriouslyㅡ"

     "How are you going to impress Elkie this way? No wonder she doesn't fall for you even when you've known each other for so long."

     His eyes widened and then he laughed. "Mom, have you ever heard of platonic friendship?"

     "If she doesn't fluster you with her beauty tonight, then tell me. I'll believe it's platonic then."

    "Mom!"

    "Just leave."

     "Fine. Love you, mom!"

     Pouting, Yanan grabbed his phone and took a cab to Elkie's apartment. He checked his own reflection on Elkie's window. He suddenly wished he styled his hair a bit. He just left it on its natural style. He was about to knock when the door opened. The first thing he saw was red.

     And then he looked up. His mouth parted slightly. The world seemed oddly silent for a while. He couldn't believe his eyes. Standing in front of him wasㅡElkie. Just Elkie. And yet, he was having a hard time catching his breath. He thought Elkie was beautiful.

     Her eyes widened. "What are you doing here?" She asked, pulling him from whatever cloud number he was on. Yanan realized his heart was beating so loud, knocking on his ribcages. Elkie's black hair was in elegant curls, pulled to the left side to show off her skin and gown design on the opposite side. Her lips have never been so red. The dress fit her perfectly. Yanan tried to speak but he couldn't. He felt stupid.

     The corner of Elkie's lips turned up before she waved a hand in front of her face. "Earth to Yanan?"

     He blinked, flustered. What would he tell his mom now? So much for platonic friendship. "Oh, huh. You actually look beautiful." He said with a tentative grin. "Are you sure you're not attending as a celebrity?"

     Elkie looked down trying to hide her blush. "You say that now because you haven't seen the real stars." She said, "Anyway, I told you I'll pick you up. Why are you here?"

     "In that dress?"

     "I can drive in dressㅡand heels."

     Yanan chuckled. "I'll drive. Give me the key."

     "Fine," she said tossing the key towards him. "Be careful. It's not my car."

     She began walking towards the car parked just in front of her apartment, but then Yanan rushed and opened the car's door for her. She laughed. "Wow. I'm getting a star treatment from you."

     "Oh, just get in." He said. She laughed before getting inside. He jogged towards the other side and got in the driver seat, driving them to the location.

     The security was really tight. Yanan just got in as Elkie's plus one. She was even asked for a work ID. When we passed the security, she let out a breath she had been holding. "My gosh. I'm so nervous!"