Chapter 7

chapter 7 || lies

     Yanan sighed and got up from Elkie's front porch. It was crazy of him to go to her place. He just wanted to make sure she got home safely. He was already there when a white fancy car parked in front of her apartment, when two figures stepped off the car, and when an unfamiliar guy kissed her cheek.

     He couldn't explain what he was feeling, or maybe he was trying to deny it. Thinking maybe if he denied it strongly enough, it wouldn't be what he thinks it is. The familiar feeling scared him.

     After sending Elkie a good night text, he grabbed his bike and pedalled away from her place.

     Elkie woke up and checked her phone but there wasn't even a good morning text from Mingyu. She took a morning shower, not certain what to do that day. She still has two days before her job as a trainee begins. She was already dressing up to go for a jog when her phone beeps.

YANAN:
Good morning!

YANAN:
Rise and shine XD
Do you have free time today?

ELKIE:
Morninggg. Yeah. Why?

YANAN:
Perfect. Come over?

ELKIE:
Kay. I'll jog my way there.

YANAN:
Kk runner.

     Yanan's family house is in the next town. Elkie was panting by the time she got there. She pressed the doorbell and it opened in less than a minute revealing Yanan in his simple black shirt and cargo shorts and yetㅡher heart that was already beating so fast from running seemed to double up. "There you are! I thought your knees gave out on the way here." He said smirking.

     She walked past him. "What's going on?" She asked, looking at the mess in their living room.

     Yanan grabbed a bucket and handed it to her. "Take this to the backyard. I need your help." He said. She hugged the bucket in her arms and Yanan grabbed a heavy-looking metal. They made their way to the backyard where he dropped the metal on the ground. That's only when she noticed that they were letters.

     "What is this?" she asked.

     "Mom's bakery shop name." He groaned. "We have to paint it. She had an argument with the person who's supposed to do this."

     Elkie grinned, crouching down to take a closer look. "Yan's Sweet Bakery? Aw. She named it after you!"

     "Don't tease me about it, please. I begged her not to name it after me. But what's here is here."

     She chuckled, taking a brush from the bucket. "So we're just gonna paint it with all these colors?"

     "Should be pastel blue and pinkㅡaccording to her request."

     As they worked, Yanan couldn't help stealing glances at Elkie who was much more serious in painting the sign perfectly. He cleared his throat. "So, how was your date last night?"

     "Hm. Good. Fine."

     He chuckled. "You don't sound sincere."