Chapter 10

chapter 10 | impatiently

     "I asked you to give me the newly polished version of this. Where is it?" Kim Kijun asked Elkie. Her heart was beating so loud because she knew that the director was in a bad mood.

     "Those are the copies-"

     "Are you kidding me?" He yelled, making her flinch a little. "These are the same papers I gave you last night!"

     "I gave them to Kim Minhee after I edited them-"

     "Why would you give something to someone else when I am the one who asked for you it?" The director asked impatiently.

     "I apologize. She asked to see the-"

     "Quiet! What is your name?"

     "E-Elkie Chong."

     "Why are you here?"

     "I-"

     "Think about it." Kim Kijun loud enough for everyone on set to hear. "Whether you belong here or not. Next time, do your job well. This is not a playground you cannot take seriously!" He tossed the papers on her face and she closed her eyes, willing herself not to cry.

     It's just the third day for God's sake. Kim Kijun's daughter, the one she bumped into during the gala, Kim Minhee was making it extra difficult for her to survive. She didn't get even just a bit of sleep last night because of polishing scripts worth a hundred pages and making exact copies for the actors too. That morning, Minhee borrowed the original copy for the director, saying she'd take a look at it.

     Elkie should have checked the papers before handing them to the director.

     She opened her eyes and looked around. Some of the actors were looking at her as if they felt bad, some didn't care. Kim Minhee smirked from where she watched everything happen before turning away.

     Elkie picked up the scattered papers from the floor, a tear dropping on one of them when a pair of hands began picking them up too. She looked up and found Mingyu, crouching in front of her. He gave her an apologetic smile.

     "Kim Mingyu! Come here!" Kim Minhee, his older sister, called him.

     "You should go." Elkie said in a hoarse voice.

     "I'm sorry." He said before leaving.

• •

     Yanan went to buy pints of ice cream in different flavors after he received a call from Elkie who sounded really gloomy on the phone. She said she was on her way home, so he quickened his steps to the bus stop because it was raining and she might not have an umbrella with her. Elkie always forgot to bring one.

     But he's just always a little too late.

     Elkie was just getting off, but Mingyu was already there waiting for her. Yanan stepped back and watched them for a while. She seemed surprise to see him. He hid behind a tree once they start walking, sharing one umbrella together.

     "You didn't have to come. I'm sure that you're tired too." Elkie said.

     "I had to. I'm really sorry for my father and my sister. I don't understand why she does that to you."

     "It's not your fault. You're not the one who switched the copies."

     "Still. It upsets me. She knows I'm going out with you."

     Elkie stopped and looked at him in surprise. "What? She does?"

     Mingyu nodded. "Yeah, but how is she still acting that?"