Chapter 21

chapter 21 | make it work

     Yanan was surprised by the vibrating of his phone on his chest. He fell asleep on the couch of Changgu and Yuto's living room with his phone on his chest, waiting for Elkie to contact him yesterday.

     He quickly sat up when he saw a new message from her and read it, a frown slowly forming on his face. But at least, she's okay.

     He got up and washed his face, brushed his teeth and prepared breakfast. Yuto had gone to work and Changgu had probably gone to school since it was so quiet.

     He was about to flip the scrambled egg when Elkie video called.

     "Heeeey, I'm so sorry!" She said immediately, looking tired. Her hair was still wet and she was wearing a white shirt.

     God. He missed her. "Are you alright?" He asked, staring at her on the screen, wishing he could just dive into the screen to her.

     "Yeah, yeah. I am. In fact, good stuff happened." She said a bit excitedly.

     "And you couldn't bother to send me a text for a short second just to, I don't know, tell me that you're still alive?" He couldn't help himself from sounding a bit harsh. He worried about her all day and night.

     Elkie's smile disappeared. She let out a heavy sigh. "I told you my phone died. I couldn't charge it."

     "Elkie, if you wanna make this work, then you gotta work it with me."

     She rolled her eyes. "Oh, please. Stop being so dramatic. Of course, I want it to work! If you would just-"

     "I'm being dramatic? Do you know how it feels like to be away from you and get no message or call telling me what the hell is happening with you there? I couldn't do anything all day without thinking of you, without worrying about you!"

     "I said I'm sorry, Yanan! Jeez. What do you want me to say? Then, do you wanna hear how it feels like for me that you're there, spending time with someone you were so madly in love with?"

     "What? Don't be ridicul-"

     "Ridiculous? Then, hear yourself! You're starting this fight over things that I had no control with-"

     "I wasn't trying to fight with you! And what is this thing you're saying about Kele? Are we still on that topic after everything we've said and done?"

     "You can't blame for being scared." She said quietly now.

     "Scared of what? Of me falling in love with her again?"

     Elkie's face twitched at the words. "I just-"

     "That was a long time ago. If you could just see how madly in love she is with her boyfriend, you wouldn't even have to doubt."

     There was silence between them. And then the egg on the frying pan burning. Yanan turned off the stove.

     "Then are you madly in love with your girlfriend? Have you ever thought that maybe it's not her feelings that I doubt, Yanan?"

     Yanan rubbed his temple, squinting at the screen. "How did we even bring the conversation here?"

     Elkie looked like she was about to cry. There was a tug on his heart. He just wanted to apologize. "I was going to tell you..." She said slowly before taking a deep breath. "What happened yesterday. If you just stopped for a second and heard me out..."

     "I'm sorry, Elkie." He said, softening.

     "This is crazy." She said, wiping a tear off her cheek. Yanan wanted to pull her in his arms and apologize again and again until they both forget what just happened. "We never fought like this before." She added.