Chapter 19

chapter nineteen | best friend

     Yanan checked again if Elkie was online, but she hasn't been online all day long even during lunch break. He was beginning to worry. "Maybe I'm just being paranoid." He muttered, not realizing Kele had been watching him across the kitchen.

     She cocked an eyebrow. "What's the matter?"

     He put his phone down and tasted the soup that was already boiling. "It's Elkie. She hasn't been online all day long."

     Kele grinned. "Aye. Maybe she's just busy. I didn't peg you for a paranoid boyfriend."

     "I'm just worried!" He said defensively.

     "I'm sure she's fine. Try calling her again later." She said, expertly rolling the egg on the pan, and then moving on to the kimbap she was making in Yuto and Changgu's place. The two were gone for the whole day and Kele said she wanted to cook for Wooseok because she's going to visit later today and she couldn't do it in her dorm, so Yanan suggested they do it in the apartment. Of course, he got Yuto's permission through text.

     Yanan sighed. "She's having a tough time in her job. I hope she's alright."

     "Can you try this?" Kele asked, feeding him a kimbap. Yanan chewed slowly before nodding and giving thumbs up. "So, how is it?"

     He swallowed before speaking with a slight frown. "Don't worry, the kimbap is good. I'm sure Wooseok would roll in happiness."

     She chuckled. "I meant, how is it dating Elkie?"

     "Oh."

     She narrowed her eyes. "I call dibs."

     "I love it." He replied easily, bringing the soup to the table.

     "Wow. Please give me more details."

     "Girls and details." He said, rolling his eyes.

     Kele smiled. "You know it."

     "I love it. She makes me happy. And I've been so stupid not to realize how she felt for me earlier. Actually, no. I think I somehow knew, but..."

     "You were scared."

     He chuckled and raised an eyebrow at her. "And whose fault is that? My first love rejected me brutally!"

     "Brutally? Shut up."

     Yanan leaned against the counter and gave his best friend a smile. "I'm glad you did. Really. I mean, yeah, it sucked back then. But it wouldn't have brought me back to China and I wouldn't have met Elkie again, if you didn't do what you did."

     "Sooo, it's thanks to me?" She waggled her eyebrows.

     "I wouldn't go that far."

     Kele laughed. "I'm happy for you. Really. You know I always think you deserve the best. And if Elkie makes you happy and she's so insanely in love with you, then you're getting what you deserve."

     "Every time I talk with you, I feel like I'm turning into a gooey marshmallow."

     "You'll be a brooding man without me, Yanan."

     They ate lunch while catching up on what's been happening in their lives since he'd been gone and there were too many that they've only covered the big things that they've already mentioned through video calls and chats before.

     "Are you really waiting for Jung Wooseok? Isn't there anyone else trying to date you?" He asked her by the time they were having dessert in the couch.