Chapter 8

chapter 8 || all is well

     The next day, Elkie filmed a documentary of Yan's Sweet Bakery's opening. Everything has been readyㅡexcept for the sign that she finished painting with Yanan just before the sunset. They set it up just before the sun rises today. And now, all is well.

     Yanan's mom cut the ribbon and everyone clapped. They have a special promo for the opening. He congratulated his mom for opening another business by kissing her cheek. She always tries new things. Just last year, she opened up a spa in the city. His favorite business of hers so far is this bakery.

     "How does it feel to finally open your own bakery and let everyone else taste your fantastic donuts?" Elkie asked, acting like a reporter. She held an invisible mic in front of his mother's lips.

     "I feel very exciteeed! Let's succeed!" His mom said smiling widely. He watched them both fondly. Elkie and his mom have always gotten along so well. Sometimes he thinks his mom might even love her more than him.

     After that, Yanan and Elkie gave out fliers to the people passing by. "What are you doing tonight?" He asked her.

     "Nothing. Probably going to curl up in bed, wide eyed in excitement for tomorrow."

     "Right. You're starting tomorrow." Yanan said, to which Elkie just nodded. After they were done sending out flyers, he casted a sideway glance at her. "Wanna go to the festival tonight? It's been a while."

     Elkie's eyes widened. "Do you remember when you helped my parents with the town festival last year? Ugh. I miss them!" She said with a nostalgic smile. Her parents live in the countryside.

     "Yeah, it was funㅡalthough festivals aren't my thing."

     She chuckled and looked at him. "So why do you wanna go tonight?"

     He shrugged. "You're gonna be busy soon and I'll be in Korea next month. Who knows when we would hangout again?"

     Elkie looked away and smiled just a little. "Probably right after a week when I ask you to bring me ten pints of ice cream because my boss stresses me out."

     "Do you think that would happen?"

     She sighed. "Somehow, I have a feeling. But a terror boss is part of the adult life."

     "Sounds like you really need to come with me tonight."

     "Okay, then."

• •

     Elkie sighed, hands pressed on the dresser as she stood in front of it. Why does she feel more nervous about going to the festival with Yanan than she was with going on a date with Mingyu? And speaking of Mingyu, he hasn't called her. Did she really mess up the date?

     She took a deep breath and ran her hands flat on her denim skirt. "Let's hang out with Yanan tonight, Elkie. You never know when it's gonna happen again." She muttered to herself before grabbing her purse and leaving her apartment. As she was locking the door, someone suddenly grabbed her shoulders and screamed in her ear she almost had a heart attack. "YANAN! JESUS! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" She asked frowning as she turned to her best friend. She breathed deeply to catch her breath and trailed off. It was happening again; the slow motion.

     Yanan was laughing so loud and it's like everything else faded into the background. It's like she could see every detail of his smiling face from the way his eyes sparkled to the way his lips curved. It was so contagious that she was already smiling before she even realized it. "You should have seen your face." He said grinning.