Chapter 9

chapter 9 | history repeats itself

     It was the night after hanging out with Yanan that Elkie was laying on her bed, arms spread widely, breathing heavily. "It's so annoying. I had more fun with him than I did with Mingyu." She muttered to herself, and then she forced herself to get up and grabbed her camera. She scrolled through the photos of him. "How is it possible for someone to be this beautiful? He looks innocentㅡlike a kid as if the world hasn't broken him before..."

     Her thoughts were disturbed when she heard her phone ringing and then her eyes went wide once she saw the caller. Kim Mingyu.

     She let it ring for a few more times before clearing her throat and answering.

Hello?

Hello, Elkie-ssi!
It's Mingyu.

Yes, how are you doing?

I've just been so busy
in preparations for
tomorrow's filming.
I'm sorry I couldn't call.

Ah, that's why.
That's alright.
I understand.

I'm really sorry.
But I want you to
know that I really
had fun that night.

Thank you...

Do you have time
tonight? Have you
eaten dinner?

Actually... yes.
I ate with a friend
earlier.

Ah, is that so?
Hm, then would
you like to grab
breakfast with me
tomorrow morning?
We can go to work
together.

Okay.

Then, should I pick
you up on seven?

Yeah, thanks.

See you tomorrow, Elkie-ssi.
Good night!

Good night, Mingyu-ssi.

     When they hang up, she stared at her phone for a while. Why does he seem to be in such a good mood? Anyway, she thought a breakfast date was pretty cool, too. Maybe it's worth a second shot. Calling like that just means Mingyu really liked her.

• •

     Yanan woke up much earlier than usual to prepare a big breakfast. He made egg rolls, kimbap and galbi. He packed some of the kimchi his mom made and some soup of last night. He smiled knowing Elkie would love the Korean breakfast.

     By six, he'd taken a shower and by half past six, he was all ready to go. He took the bus that would stop nearby Elkie's apartment but it was stuck for about seven minutes in a stop. "Excuse me, how much longer before the bus leaves?" He asked the driver.

     "Sorry, it might take a bit longer. The engine overheated. The mechanics are on their way."

     The driver's response resulted in non-ending complaints from the passengers. Yanan decided to wait because it was still early anyway. Elkie's working time is eight, so she'd still be there if he gets there by half past seven.