Chapter 17

chapter 17 | everything i've always wanted

     They walked hand in hand after their two-hour karaoke session and both their voices were coming out hoarse. It was worth it though.

     Before they took the bus to Elkie's apartment, they stopped by an ice cream parlor and got a cone for each of them. And as they walked again, Elkie snapped several pictures on her phone and some on Yanan's phone. "Now you have some pictures to look at while you're away." She said.

     He laughed. "We've always had pictures together."

     "Not as a couple." She said, kissing him on the lips for another picture. She giggled at the screen, seeing Yanan's surprised face.

     "Yah, how come you always get me off guard."

     She grinned and kissed him again. "Do you know how long I've waited to do this?" She asked pouting.

     This time, he was the one who kissed her. Not a peck. But longer and more affectionate, driving her crazy.

     "Ammaaaa!" A kid's voice cried nearby, separating them. Both their heads turned to the little boy in front of them and then to the mother who was buying a street food. Yanan and Elkie exchanged glances and ran away.

     Laughing and catching their breaths, they stopped by a street food cart and ate some more. "All that singing made me hungry again." Yanan said.

     Finally, they walked to the bus stop. "We're going to a lot more beautiful dates when I get back." He told her.

     "Okay, but this is beautiful too."

     "Really? You don't think it's too ordinary?"

     Elkie scrunched her nose. Even that was cute to him. "It's special because we're beginning something special ㅡ and are you kidding me? It's not ordinary if I get the privelege to kiss you at times you don't expect." She said with a smirk.

     Yanan raised her hand that he was holding and kissed the back of it. "I really like you."

     She smiled and looked into his eyes. "I really, reaaaally like you, too. Thanks for choosing the things you think I'd enjoy the most."

     "Don't you think it's playing safe?" He asked, grinning.

     "Oh, you can play safe on the first date. But I'm taking you to an amusement park on our next date."

     "Nooo!" He said in disbelief.

     "And you're going to ride all those extreme rides with me. Don't worry. I'll bring a plastic bag in case you throw up."

     Yanan laughed as the bus arrived and they both got on. He took out his phone and his earphones, sharing it with Elkie, and then they listened to a mellow song on their way back.

I am happy
That I'm by your side
Because you're by my side,
I dream
Because you're by my side,
I can smile
I pray again,
that you will be my person

     Elkie smiled up at him once she heard Taeyeon's voice. Yanan knew she was a big fan. "Mmm, is this the advantage of dating my best friend?"

• •

     When they've reached her door, she had trouble letting him go. Holding both of his hands as she stood by the doorframe she said, "I can't believe you're leaving tomorrow and I won't see you in three weeks, and I can't even take you to the airport!"