Chapter 5

chapter 5 || moving forward

     Elkie smiled despite the incident that almost ruined her night. Yanan followed her towards her apartment and gave her back the car key. "Thanks for going with me, for the pep talkㅡand for convincing Gong Yoo to take a picture with us! I still can't believe we're both in one picture with him. I better frame it and hang it on the wall. Do you want one too?"

     Yanan chuckled. "I'd be happy enough if you tag me on Instagram."

     "Okay."

     There was a sudden silence between them. They looked at each other with eyes saying a million things their mouths couldn't. Yanan took a deep breath and caressed the top of her hair, not wanting to mess it up like usual. "Good job today. When I saw you mingling with the producers and staff, I just felt like this path is really for you."

     Elkie grinned. "I felt the same!" She exclaimed, sitting on the front porch without thinking twice despite her dress. Yanan sat beside her. "Have you ever felt like that? Like, the goal to succeed in what you want to do just intensified even more than you thought it could? I'm just so excited to learn more, Yanan. To see how it's actually done even though we've visited some film sets beforeㅡthis time, I actually get to assist!"

     She sighed dreamily. She knew that she had said that to him about a hundred times in the car on their way back, but he listens anyway as if he's always hearing the words for the first time.

     Yanan watched her talk enthusiastically about her dreams as she was looking up the nightsky. There was nowhere else he'd rather be at that moment.

     Elkie leaned her head on Yanan's shoulder and sighed dreamily once again. "Thanks again for staying beside me tonight. Imagine if you weren't holding me when we saw Kris Wu? I could have fainted."

     They laughed and talked about the event a little bit more before they said good night to each other.

     Elkie twirled dramatically towards her bed once she got to her room. Curly hair spreading around her head. She allowed herself to think about Yanan more. How close he was when they were dancing, how he made sure she was alright; actually, typical Yanan but tonight, somehow, something was different and even though she couldn't pinpoint it yetㅡshe was happy about it.

     Yanan tossed and turned on his bed the very same night before he finally decided to message Kele.

YAN:
Asleep?

KEL:
Not yet. Paperwork.

YAN:
... Busy?

KEL:
WHAT IS IT YANAN

YAN:
ok...
is it normal to find
your friend beautiful?
i mean, attractive?

KEL:
UM YEA
I FIND YOU HANDSOME
and i might have a girl crush
on seunghee bc she's so pretty
ok now dont u dare tell her XD

YAN:
wow. a revelation.
and thanks.

KEL:
how was the party?

YAN:
pretty good.

KEL:
was elkie gorgeous