Chapter 15

chapter 15 | nothing can bring me down

"Ma, can I work in the bakery?" Yanan asked his mom who stopped stirring the soup to look at him.

"What do you mean?"

"How much do you pay a worker in a day?"

"Do you need money? How much?"

He grinned. "Aye. My mom's reaaally awesome!" He said. "But I wanna work hard for the money, ma."

"Why? You're talking as if you have a girlfriend."

Yanan laughed, hopping to sit on the counter. "What if I do?"

His mom coughed on the soup she was tasting. "Really? Who? From which family? What does she do?"

He laughed again before it dissolved into a happy smile. "Well, you know her."

She frowned. "Who? I only know Elkie among your friendsㅡ" Her eyes widened. "Don't tell me..." She looked at him quizzically yet there's an undeniable excitement in her eyes.

Yanan nodded. "Ma, I asked Elkie out."

A moment of silence for the friendzone that had died.

And then his mother broke into an excited shriek that made him smile so wide. "REALLY?"

"Really! And she likes me, too. I could hardly believe it."

He yelped in surprise when his mother hit his arm with the spatula (that was, thankfully, not too hot). "You foolㅡhow can you just realize that now?"

"What?"

"Anyone who looked at Elkie while she looked at you would know. I know. I also used to look that way to your dad."

"Used to? What about now?"

"I still do when he's not such a pain in the ass." His mom smiled. "I can't believe it. You two have finally stopped beating around the bush, huh?"

"Can I work in your bakery? I want to treat her."

"Aiyoo. Okay. It's thirty bucks per day."

"Thirty? That's too little, ma!"

"Take it or stay home."

"Forty?"

"Thirty-five."

"Ma! Don't be such a Chinese."

"I am Chinese! And so are you."

"Thirty-nine?"

"Fine. Forty."

"I love you!"

• •

Elkie whistled as she carried props to be used in the filming. It was far from directing a movie, but nothing seemed to bring down her mood.

After she was done, she saw Kim Minhee coming her way but instead of exchanging dagger-like stares with her, Elkie smiled really sweetly and bowed politely. She left the woman in a confused state.

She went to the production team currently monitoring a scene. "We're heading to Korea in a few weeks. We should announce it to the staff too." One of them said.

Elkie froze. WE'RE GOING TO KOREA? OH. MY. GOD.

Kim Kijun nodded. "But only selective staff. Bring the best ones. We don't need to spend on people who don't contribute anything to this film." She could almost swear that the director side-eyed her. Well, then, I guess I won't be going.