Chapter 18

chapter 18 | so long, korea

     That afternoon in his grandma's house, Yanan was on a video call with Elkie while he was laying on the couch, munching on his grandma's cheesecake that he didn't realize he missed so much.

     "I think I'm late to the heartbroken party!" He told her.

     Elkie was laid down on bed, her long hair sliding over her shoulders. Even through the screen, she was beautiful. "Why?" she asked.

     "I think Changgu is moving on. He met a girl on the first night I was here, and since then, he's been inseparable from his phone."

     "Isn't that good?"

     "I guess, it is. I just feel sad for Seungyeon. I saw her the other day. Kele and I went to watch one of her group's gig. She was amazing, but I could tell she still likes Changgu, or at least, still affected by the topic. She gets so quiet when he's mentioned. Makes me feel bad for bringing him up in the first place."

     "Good. You don't bring up your friend's ex, if it's a fresh wound, Yanan."

     "When will it not be a fresh wound for her?"

     "Some things are hard to get over with."

     "You mean, some people."

     She gave him a knowing smile. "Yeah, and I think you should know better."

     "Anyway, how's your day?"

     Elkie thought about how her day had been and instead of saying anything, she began singing, "Neoreul geuriwohada haruga da jinasseo..." which simply means, I spent a day missing you.

     Yanan almost snorted the cheesecake out of his nose, grinning widely. "Nooo! That song had been replayed over and over by Kele! I think she listens to it every day!"

     Her smile wavered a little, but she kept it on. "Oh? Right. You told me she loves BTOB."

     "That's not just it. She said Missing You is literally her life right now while waiting for Jung Wooseok."

     "Well, I could relate to that part."

     He smirked. "Waiting for Jung Wooseok?"

     "You dummy."

     He laughed, the camera shaking. "Just kidding. I miss you, too. A lot." He said softly, pulling the camera close as if he could hug Elkie by that.

     "Then you must not be enjoying as much as I thought."

     "No, I'm enjoying. I'm glad to see the others. Changgu brought me to that waffle house that I loved. Can you believe the interior design is still the same even after all these years? And surprisingly, Yuto and I get along! Kele and I haven't spent much time together because she's busy with college, but the short times we were together were fun. It's like nothing has changed at all! And I sometimes drop by to hang out with Seunghee in her family's restaurant. I get to taste grandma's cheesecake again." He said enthusiastically. Elkie's doubts melted away by seeing him so peaceful. "But..."

     "There's a but?" She asked.

     "I'd enjoy these more, if you were here." He said, enough to send butterflies in her stomach. She supressed a smile. "I wish you were here with me. I'd love for you to meet my friends again and get to know them yourself. Also, watch you learn grandma's secret recipe for The Best Cheesecake In The World. It's funny that whatever I'm doing, I wish you were with me." Yanan smiled softly and Elkie suddenly wished there was a way to go through the screen and end up beside him.