Chapter 16

chapter 16 | and the first date

"Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh." Yanan paced back and forth in his room, on a video call with Kele. He still had flour on his face from helping his mother bake that afternoon after a long morning in the shop.

"Jeez. Yanan, relaaaaax." Kele said laughing as she walked through her campus.

"You don't understand. Elkie and I have been close friends for so long. What if we go on a date and she realizes she doesn't even like me that way ㅡ because what difference would there be? We already did so many stuff together! I still don't know where to take her. We've watched movies, ate together, went to amusement parks. And I only have eighty bucks!"

"Heeey, breathe in. Breathe out." He didn't even know why, but he quickly obeyed her. "There you go. Just calm down and think slowly. Like you said, this is Elkie we're talking about. She'll love whatever you have in store for her. Trust me, girls barely care about these stuff. We care more about who we're with."

"But-"

"Yanan, trust me. It'll be different this time because you're not going out as friends. You're dating now. And you might think there aren't new things to do, but you'll find out later."

His cheeks heated up. "Yah! What new things?"

Kele laughed, wiggling her eyebrows. "You know it. Come on, she'll love being on a date with you, I'm certain."

He sighed. "Okay. What should I wear?"

"Just wear something that's you. I'm sure she's already whipped for your blond hair."

"Your confidence in me is astonishing." He said as he rummaged through his closet.

"You know I've always known you don't see yourself like how everybody else actually see you and that's astonishing."

"Look who's talking."

Kele smiled. "Shut up. You know it's true. Anyway, I gotta go. I'm gonna have to run to my next class. Tell me all about the date later."

"'Kay. Thanks for the pep talk."

She rolled her eyes. "Anytime, blondie."

• •

Elkie ran to the washroom right after the day's work and pulled the rubber that was holding her hair up. She shook her hair with her both hands and fixed it to look not too messy. She took out her makeup kit and began dolling herself up, her heart already racing by the thought of going on a date with Yanan.

She wasn't even this excited with Mingyu.

On her way out, she really had to bump into Mingyu.

"I'm sorry!" She immediately apologized.

"No, I'm sor- oh, wow." He looked at her, jaw slightly ajar. "You look... beautiful." He said slowly.

"Thank you." She said, backing away slightly from his hands on her arms.

Mingyu immediately withdrew his hands. "Oh, sorry! I-"

"No, it's okay."

He attempted a smile. "Going home?"

"No, uh, meeting someone."

"Going on a date?"

"Mingyu-"

He smiled and it actually seemed genuine. "It's alright. Have a good night."