Chapter 25

Yujin's POV

Since Jungkook and the rest of BTS had to get ready for a performance, same with Got7, I was left to myself for a portion of the event. I glided through the room, greeting individuals and higher-ups and making myself known to them. At some point, JYP and I had encountered each other and he had taken the liberty of introducing me to several passing interested clients. The thought of the business cards tucked into my clutch bag exhilarated me.

I'd been people-watching for several minutes now before a voice startled me, causing me to nearly spill my cocktail.

"That was quite the show you put on out there."

I whirled around to face the individual, my expression and mood falling considerably as I was met with the glowering face of my mother. She wore a long-sleeve, floor-length dress that was a deep auburn, reminiscent of the color of blood.

How fitting.

She observed me with a permanent scowl plastered across her maroon-painted lips. I bit the inside of my cheek at her scrutinization before huffing and, with feigned interest, asking, "Oh, you think so?"

My mother gave a haughty chuckle. "Mm, I thought it was quite entertaining. Adorable, if anything."

I fought the urge to roll my eyes at her indirect insult. "Why are you even here? Where's dad?"

She placed a hand on her hip and scanned the area around us. "He's around here somewhere, and as for why we're here, all families were invited to this event. Sweet, isn't it?"

I gave an ingenuine smile. "How considerate." As the lights began to dim and attendants cleared the dance floor, I took that as a cue that the performances would be beginning. I internally back-flipped at the opportunity to flee the tense meeting, plus I was exited to watch Jungkook, my brother, and the rest of the guys perform live. "Anyway, I have to go, if you'll excuse me."

I took a step in the opposite direction but her cold voice stopped me. "You know I was actually hoping I would run into you."

I stopped in my tracks and reluctantly turned around, getting increasingly worried at the subtle smirk on her face as she reached into her bag and withdrew a manila envelope. She held it in my direction and I, with skepticism written on my face, grabbed it.

"What is this?" I asked, gripping it away from me as if it could attack me at any moment.

"Open it and find out," was the only answer I received as my mother crossed her arms and observed. Music had begun to blast over the speakers, the pulsing bass vibrating nearby surroundings, but I was deaf to it all as I unfolded the paper and began to read. As my mind comprehended the words, dread consumed me and I was stricken with disbelief, among an array of other devastating emotions. My arms fell to my sides, limp, as I stared blankly at the smug woman in front of me.

"You got me evicted?" I spat, the backs of my eyes stinging.

My mother stood there shamelessly as she retracted the paper from my now quivering hands as she carefully placed it back in her bag. She arched an eyebrow in my direction. "You got what was coming to you."

My fist clenched by my side in anger. "Are you fucking kidding me? How is that even possible?" I fumed.

The woman before me breathed a chuckle. "I owned the lease on that apartment, remember? I simply bought out the contract."

My heart sank to my stomach. I couldn't fathom how this person before me, the sole person in this world who is to care for me and love me the most, could be the source of my suffering. My hands tightened around my clutch bag as I bit my lip to avoid breaking down in public. "How could you do this to me? Do I mean nothing to you?"

She scoffed. "After our last encounter, did you really expect me to keep providing for you? All these years I've tried to help you and you continuously disappointed me, it could only go on for so much longer."

I couldn't help the lone tear that escaped, rolling smoothly down my cheek as my composure slowly began to deteriorate. "You are the most sickening, malicious, vile person I've ever met."

"Oh, please," the woman before me rolled her eyes, glancing around us to see if anyone was witnessing the moment. "If that's all, I'm going to leave now."

"Never speak to me again." I demanded as she prepared to exit. Her eyes pierced my shattering state as I attempted some confidence. "From now on, I want you out of my life for good. I hate you."

At my final words, I could've sworn I noticed a slight flinch in her stoic demeanor, but I rejected the thought. There was no way this person before me could feel hurt or remorse. She adjusted her bag on her shoulder, taking a step forward to leave. As she passed me, she muttered her last words.

"Fine by me, I hope your boy-toy doesn't stick around long enough to witness your mess of a life. Say hello to Yoongi for me."

And with that, she was gone, leaving me to stare at the floor with an empty gaze. The tears that had been welling up in my eyes finally seized their opportunity to spill out. I viciously wiped at them as I pushed through the crowd of cheering people, clapping at the end of the now finished performance. I ignored strange looks shot in my direction as I rushed outside, taking a deep inhale of the fresh air as harsh hiccups ripped through my chest.

What did I do to deserve this? I did what was asked of me for years and gave up countless opportunities and dreams only to please that wretched woman. Why did she loathe me to this extent? What was I supposed to do now that I would be homeless in a week's time?

I leaned against the cold wall and crouched down, sliding till my butt rested upon my heels. I ducked my head between my arms to hide my face. I felt weak for breaking down like this, dressed as I am at an event of this degree, but it couldn't be helped.

I continued my cries, muffled by my dress, as the cold night breeze enveloped me. I was shivering, but I felt numb to the physical pain as I was consumed with torpor. Goosebumps arose along my skin as my thin dress did nothing to conceal me from the biting autumn wind.

Suddenly, however, the cold was replaced by a comforting warmth. An arm pulled me to stand before pressing me against their hard chest. Two muscular arms encircled me as I continued to whimper, gently swaying me and brushing my hair back to lull me into a more reposed state. The familiar scent nearly made me break down more from the sense of relief it caused me.

"Shh, baby, I'm here." Jungkook pressed a kiss against the top of my head. "It'll be okay."

~*~

too emo? i also don't know her

BTW yes i changed my username from xyasmine01 to bangtothetan_ ayee sorry for any confusion

also ig it's nctzen selca day or something... 👀
sorry y'all i'm too ugly for that
please comment, vote, and share :)