XXIII

"So... None of that happened?" Natsumi asks.

"We did go to lunch and hugged but that was it." I assure here.

"I told you, baby. Why wouldn't you believe me?" Jungkook grabs both of her hands, kneeling down on the floor.

"Natsumi." Taehyung speaks for the first time, "I know this is weird and I know exactly how you feel, but trust me, I believe Hayun with my whole chest and I can assure you the hug was as far as they got."

"Okay." she sighs, "I'm just glad nothing really happened."

"Oh, my god. Me too." Taehyung sighs in relief.

"Well, it was a pleasure to meet you, Natsumi." I say.

"I never thought we'd meet like this, but... It really was a pleasure." she stands up from the couch.

I let out a laugh and take Taehyung's hand as we walk out and into the car.

"I'm dropping you off at your place and visiting my parents today, but I'll be back tomorrow morning if everything goes as planned and I'll take you out for breakfast so that we can... Talk more." he says.

"Okay, sure." I nod my head with a small smile on my lips.

As we reach my apartment I give him a quick kiss on the cheek and say my goodbyes before he leaves.

I get upstairs and take a shower before having to head back to the club. I leave around 3 and come back at 1 in the morning.

Exhausted I drag my feet to the bathroom and take a shower, it's about 2 am when I'm ready to go to bed, but I hear a few weak knocks on the door.

I walk there to answer and once I open I face Taehyung, looking down with cheeks wet and red, puffy eyes.

"Taehyung-"

"My dad died."

"What?"

"My dad died." he repeats, "He's dead." he repeats, drunk-like.

"You're drunk."

"Yes." he nodds, regretfully.

"Come inside."

He walks in as I sit down on the couch.

"I can't believe this. I can't believe he's dead." he cries out, sitting next to me, "It was a stroke, Hayun." he looks at me with wide eyes, "It was a fucking stroke!" he shouts, standing up.

"Hey, calm down." I stand up too, walking towards him.

"No! He had cancer! Cancer! And he dies of a fucking stroke?" he shouts backing away, "What kind of fucked up logic is that?" he cries out, almost choking on his tears, "I hate myself. I hate myself so much." he dugs his face in his hands and sits down, mumbling 'I hate myself' over and over.

"Hey, it's not your fault." I sit next to him and rub his back.

"I know. It's not... That. I just... I'm not sad." he looks at me, "I'm... I feel free, Hayun. And I hate myself for that. I hate my selfish, ignorant, awful self for feeling free that my dad, my fucking dad is dead." he explains, "He never loved me and I never loved him. I feel bad that he died, but why don't I feel sad? Isn't that how people feel when someone dies? Is it okay that I feel free after years, years of him abusing me verbally and physically? I feel free to be my own self without him always looking down on me. And I hate that. I should be sad. I never loved him. But I feel so, so awful about how free I'm feeling."

"Taehyung." I call and he looks at me with big, glassy eyes, "You went through hell because of him. He never showed any respect or love for you. It's okay to feel free. It doesn't mean you're a bad person."