Chapter 9

"I am in need of some sleep. You can stay here of you'd like. Go into sleep mode, it you need to recharge a bit. I won't wake you if I am up before you."
"That is kind of you, but I feel unsafe when in sleep mode when someone is awake. It's nothing personal."

"Then go sleep in my room, I'll take the couch. You can close the door and come out when you are up. No one walking around there, I promise."

"It is your bed, detective."
"And I voluntarily give it to you. Now go!"
Faith gets up and pulls Connor to her room.
"Here is the key, you can close the door if it makes you feel safer. I'll be on the couch. Wake me when something is wrong."

Faith moves out the room, closes the door and lays down on the couch.
It doesn't take long for her to fall asleep.

She is woken up by someone shaking her.
"Why the rough treatment?"
"You didn't wake up on my earlier attempts." Connor says.
Faith turns around and wipes the sleep from her eyes.
"What's up?"

"We want you to protect Jericho." Faith sits up fast, not expecting others in her house.
"I'm sorry, what?"
"There is a lot of unrest within the habitants of New Jericho, and they would feel better when someone was looking out for them."

"I have to be at the station too, I'll be out a lot."
"We are aware of that, but it would ease our minds knowing that you are with us in your spare hours." Markus sounds desperate, Simon close behind him.

A groan leaves Faith's mouth. "Help me pack up, please. I still don't have enough sleep to function but it'll do."
She gets up and starts taking bags out of a closet. "Could you to be so kind as to put everything that is in the different fridges, in these bags."
Markus and Simon take the bags and start working.

Faith starts packing the timeline of the case. "Do you have magnetic boards I can borrow?"
"I think we have a few present, yeah."
She memorised what she has written down before wiping it away.
Connor has taken the initiative to pack some clothing for Faith.

Within no time they are ready.
"We'll take my car."
"We don't fit in there." Connor observes, knowing only about the sports car.
"I have another one too, we'll fit."

They walk down the stairs to the garage. She takes the keys from the ring in the wall and opens the doors.

When everyone is inside the car, she drives backwards out of the garage.
The port closes by itself so she drives off to New Jericho.
"Thank you for doing this."
"No worries."