Archive Log: 28

"That is incorrect, David. Try again."

David didn't even bother looking up at the sound of the voice. Naturally, as part of his lessons, David had been set the task to learn languages which would probably, maybe, help with making contact with these possible other entities. If any were around, that is. Honestly, there was only so many times he could read, and then reread the thesis which had been left with him; it seemed to make sense if these things, these creatures created humans, then they would speak a language similar. David could speak English fine enough, that was an automatic given. However, other languages, or rather old languages, was something which wasn't already programmed into him.

David stayed leaning against the palm of his hand. His other hand was tentatively reaching out to stroke at the petals of the flower before him. He had looked after the little plant with the utmost care. He was very vigilant over what it needed to survive. It didn't do too well with coming out of storage. At one point David did think it was going to perish; but no, the warmth of a high energy light managed to bring it back around and he watched with a small smile as it grew and opened up more. Storage had made it shrink into itself, but now it stood open and almost proud looking. The yellow within the engineered tampered petals really stood out now, and he didn't know how bright the colour actually was until now. He never put too much attention in them back on Earth.

It was a damn sight more interesting than taking lessons on a language he didn't even really want to learn. He was basically, pretty much, ordered to learn it. Not saying there was an agenda of things David had to get through while everyone slept, but Weyland purposely made an itinerary up. He knew, more than anyone, how easy it was for David to get bored and divert and find something else to amuse himself. David didn't like to think that even in sleep the man was overruling his life, but he was. And right now, there wasn't a whole lot David could do about it.

Flicking his eyes up to the holoscreen in front of him, he sighed. The doctor looking back at him had been set the task to teach him. David liked to think he was quite a good student, but right now...no. Each day he would sit here and have an hour or a couple of hours worth of lessons. He was under no illusion, learning the earliest form of language would be hard. The doctor was very patient with him, he encouraged him even when things went right. That's not to say many things went wrong. Begrudgingly enough to admit it, Weyland had made him to be 'perfect', therefore he was quick enough, and clever enough to pick things up easily.

"Try again." The doctor implored, David sighed and moved so that his cheek leaned against his palm instead of his chin. Other than making it seem like he was getting more comfortable, he didn't move. Proto-Indo-European language was by all purposes the parent language of modern languages, and what everyone basically spoke now. There was some derivations of course, but that was something which could be overlooked.

Stroking at the petal again, David opened his mouth, only to shut it again. He wasn't feeling this, he was usually enthusiastic to learn, he liked learning. It kept his mind busy, and David needed anything and everything to keep his mind busy seems he was alone. "Do you believe that this will work?" David asked, there wasn't ever really a question and answer moment in his lessons, but he had been musing recently. What if they spoke something else entirely? "It is easy to presume that if they are connected to humans, that they will speak something of a similar vein. Yet, they are a different entity completely, alien if you will...are we not clutching at straws?" David asked while finally resting his hand on the table, the plant was being forgotten about briefly for the sake of getting answers.

The doctor sighed, the reception between him and David made the picture flicker a little. "If it does not work, then there must be another way to make contact. Now, shall we continue?"