Archive Log: 29

Fear. David supposed there was a few definitions and variations of fear; from a fear of something, to just sheer dread of a moment. He wasn't too sure where he stood at the moment on the scale of relaxed, and not fearing at all, to resisting the urge to go into full on panic mode. David presumed he was more near the latter than the first, all because of one thing; Minerva wasn't waking up.

He had resisted waking her up for so long, that actually, he had decided to wake her up a few days early. He honestly didn't see the harm in it. She was always going to need to be woken first, that was a given. A couple of days earlier doesn't matter, or at least he didn't think it mattered, but her not waking up mattered hugely. He stood looking down at her, she was plugged into machinery, machinery which was effectively going to help her reboot back up, and wake up. Only, she seemed to have other ideas. Any other time, David would find that amusing. It would typically be her, out of everyone else, that would want to be different and refuse waking.

If she was human, it wouldn't be too much of a problem. David had long since learned that humans are rather robust creatures. He may not have known Minerva the human, but if she was as resilient as her dad when she was unwell, then he guessed most humans refused to go down without a fight. But, no matter what is thrown at them and the ability to bounce back may vary, it doesn't solve the fact that this Minerva wasn't human. He couldn't just use the MedPod. Yes, he may have calibrated it to be used on males, mainly Weyland, but it wouldn't be hard to change. Even more so considering he knew all the passwords to bypass the security measures he had put in place. That piece of technology would have zero trouble assessing the problem, and furthermore dealing with it. David couldn't do that with Minerva. The MedPod wouldn't register her the same way as a human, that's if it registered her at all.

He could run diagnostics, which he had done several times already, to find out the problem, but the tablet beside him on the wheeled table wasn't flagging anything up. David was all for the experiment of seeing if synthetics could go into hypersleep, being incognito was probably going to be needed he guessed for certain missions. But at the price of losing her? No. To David there was really nothing which was worth that. Reaching down, David made sure the wires feeding into her were properly attached before picking the tablet back up. He stood tinkering with different outputs, he was running out of ideas to be honest. He guessed that her body, seeing as how it was a ten year old and then some system, couldn't deal with being shut down for so long. Mechanics within probably had seized up and just ceased to work. David always thought upgrading the hardware in her was ridiculous considering the synthetic body her AI consciousness lived in was so dated. But, Weyland wouldn't want to change that, clearly he had grown used to how she was and didn't want to mess around with a new housing for her mind.

David didn't want to admit it, but right now, she technically was dead. He could feel himself slightly panicking more, not that he showed it as he stood calm faced and looking around the room for inspiration. If something like this happened to a human, then he guessed the MedPod would defibrillate them, get the heart going, if it was the heart that was the problem. Frowning he turned and walked off, Minerva was technology. To restart technology if the battery died, all it would need is electricity, right? There were many small tools on the ship which had the capability of using electricity as a concentrated beam, for different jobs. He returned with one of these in his hands. Disconnecting one of the wires, he pushed gently against her neck to find one of the ports before rather unceremoniously shoving the sparking tool against her skin and into her system.

There was a definite jolt, so much so that David had to place his spare hand against her stomach to push her back down. Picking up the tablet, David pushed more output signals and waited. It was a gradual thing, despite having breathing, blinking, talking, and moving all turned up to the maximum, it was actually slow going. Her eyelids flickered, and her chest began to slowly rise before her fingers twitched. David leaned more against the pod as her eyes slowly opened. He smiled, relief instantly flooded through him. Placing a hand to her cheek, he got her attention. She was staring blankly up at the ceiling. Feeling him, she blinked and slid her eyes to look at him. His smile grew more, he didn't want a repeat of this. He didn't like feeling powerless, even more so considering no one even seemed to think that this was likely to happen. That was something to put in the report back to the technology buffs on Earth, David guessed.