Archive Log: 41

"Just the other day I looked at my father. It was the first time I saw he'd grown old. Canyons through his skin and the rivers that made them. Carved the stories I was told. He said: 'Son, I have watched you fade in. You will watch me fade out. I have watched you fade in. You will watch me fade out. When the grip leaves my hand. I know you won't let me down. Go and find your way. Leave me in your wake. Always push through the pain. And don't run away from change. Never settle. Make your mark. Hold your head up. Follow your heart. Follow your heart.'"

David peeked around the door cautiously. Everywhere was silent, the weather outside was still, the machinery in the ship was unused. Everything was still and silent, yet he could distinctly hear a quiet voice. The gentle lull grew in volume the closer he got, and it wasn't until he finally found the room, did he fully register it was Minerva.

Her voice was gentle still, her voice rather pleasant to listen to as he stood in the doorway listening, yet she sounded sad. David didn't like the thought of her being sad. Yet, considering what just transpired and the fact her father had rather bluntly had a go at Elizabeth, David did understand why she was saddened. Peter Weyland wanted saving from death, Elizabeth said it was unlikely to happen, in so many words. And then he had bought her faith, her beliefs and even her dead boyfriend into it. It had got horrible, nasty even and Minerva had listened and inside, knew her father was going to die. She hadn't made peace with that.

She had left, much like Elizabeth did to get ready. Ready she was, standing in her suit, her arms by her sides, her hair braided up and trailing down her back. Her helmet sat on the table nearby, she was just staring out the large window. Unmoving but quietly singing to herself, David moved into the room. "Just the other day I stared at the ocean. With every new wave another must go. One day you'll remember us laughing. One day you'll remember my passion. One day you'll have one of your own. I'll say: 'Son, I have watched you fade in. You will watch me fade out. When the grip leaves my hand. I know you won't let me down. Go and find your way. Leave me in your wake. Always push through the pain. And don't run away from change. Never settle. Make your mark. Hold your head up. Follow your heart. Follow your heart.' We all..." Minerva's voice trailed off when she caught sight of David's refection in the window. She slowly turned and looked at him, David just lifted his arms up. Minerva's face saddened even more as she walked forwards and wrapped her arms around him. David hated to think it, but her chosen song was apt. Purposely chosen for a reason, and whatever the reason, it clearly wasn't to cheer herself up.

He put her at arm's length, "You're making yourself sad," he stated, he stroked his thumbs under her eyes. He could feel they were damp, she had been crying. He didn't know how long she had been standing here, once she left the room with Elizabeth, David had to stay with Weyland for a bit. If anything to listen to the man talk and go on a bit. He seemed to be second guessing bringing Minerva, which unsettled David. The fact that she so easily broke down made Weyland presume that her emotional drive, the chip inside her head had a temporary glitch. Everything seemed to come back to something technological, it couldn't just be a girl upset over her pigheaded father clearly going on a suicide mission, could it?

Minerva just sniffed and nodded, "I feel sad."

David looked sympathetic, he couldn't understand how she felt. When it came to the topic of Weyland possibly dying, David felt nothing. There was just this void. Would he be sad? Unlikely. Would he miss him? Doubtful. Ever since waking up, David had been at his beck and call and resentment hadn't taken long to appear. It was bad to say that David's judgements of people came back to his judgement of one man. Not everyone was like Weyland, clearly. But the behaviour in which they treated synthetics was always usually the same; reserved and distant. It was a shame really that humans had the ability to be so caring, yet create something like himself and don't want to know, don't want to nurture or help it grow.