second chance | maxtul

"Max?!" his mom shouted for him from down the stairs. Max sighed in response as he sat against the headboard of his bed, a book in hand. The dark-haired male stood, placing his open book pages down on his nightstand.

He walked down the set of stairs to his mom who stood at the bottom, waiting for him. His steps came to a sudden halt when his eyes caught sight of the man who stood beside his mother.

"Max." the man acknowledged.

The man of which stood inches taller than his mother, but shorter than him, was Tul Pakorn, his ex-lover.

Tul stood tall with his hands interlaced in front of him. His white button-up shirt was tucked into a pair of black jeans with a black belt and a grey overshirt. His dark brown hair was styled up nicely with little gel.

Max stared at Tul for a moment before his eyes wandered to his mother who stood with an innocent gaze directed at him. He opened his mouth to speak, but she cut him off.

"Just speak to Tul, Max. You might understand more after, son."

Max sighed softly as he watched his mother walk from the livingroom to the kitchen.

"I understand you don't want to speak to me, Max. I can leave if you'd prefer that." Tul spoke, pointing towards the door to his left.

Max sighed again, seeing the pained look on Tul's face. "Have a seat." Max walked past Tul, making his way to the tan-colored couch and taking a seat.

Tul froze in his spot as he caught the glare Max had directed at him before he'd walked past. The man could be really intimidating and quite terrifying if you messed with him a certain way. Tul was slightly afraid he'd met that point.

"Tul," Max spoke, his voice stern.

Tul cleared his throat and turned toward Max, walking to the chair that was across from the couch.

"This hopefully won't take long," Tul spoke as he took a seat. He interlaced his fingers and directed his gaze toward the ground. "Since you are, and most likely will always be, an important person in my life, I wanted to let you know that I'm moving to America."

Max sat in shock at the news as he stared at the coffee table in front of him.

Tul stood from the chair and walked towards the front door, getting ready to leave as he had to be at the airport in less than 2 hours.

"You're... Leaving Thailand?" Max question in disbelief as he finally looked at Tul who stood with his hand on the doorknob. Max stood up and within the blink of an eye, he stood in front of Tul. He had barely left any space between the two of them. "Why?"

"Because I think it would be better for me right now. It will help me move on from the past, just as you should do, Max." Tul explained and opened the front door, only to have it slammed shut. "Max, I need to go."

"Did you bother asking how I feel? If maybe I want you to stay?" Max questioned softly, trying to get Tul to look him in the eyes.

"Max, I need to go."

Tul managed to open the door and slip through the small gap. And just like that, Tul was sprinting down the street with Max not falling far behind. Tul had managed to jump into his sister's car and off they went, leaving Max panting in the street with tears clouding his eyes.

"Tul!" Max shouted in agony as he fell to his knees, watching their car leave his neighborhood.

Just as he'd come, he was gone like a lightning strike. He'd slipped through his fingertips and he had no one to blame but himself. The love of his life had just rode off and Max, not knowing if he'd ever come back, felt his heart thud painfully.