Free

After my mother interrupted us, Budo and I scooted away from one another still holding hands. We talked and ate snacks for another hour. The sun started setting and we decided it was time for Budo to go home. I walked him to the door and we said our goodbyes.

Once I closed the door, my mother was standing there with her hand on her hip. "A boyfriend? I didn't think you'd gather up enough courage to ask your love already!"

"Actually mom. Budo is not that guy. Budo makes me happy. Happier than I think Taro would. Maybe I'm not like you after all. I feel things. I feel real emotions and I feel normal."

"I've been noticing. But I thought you were just getting used to faking your emotions so much that you did it around me too." My mother said.

"I didn't have to hurt anyone to be with Budo. I didn't have to go crazy just for him to talk to me. Taro is sweet but Budo is my best friend." My eyes started watering.

"I believe you sweetie. I always knew you were special." She smiled at me and turned around. She walked away and her silky black hair swooshed from side to side.

I went to my room and looked at my Taro shrine. I used to look at it and feel so warm inside. Warm but empty. Now I feel full. But cold. He means nothing to me as more than a friend and I couldn't be happier. I almost feel bad for breaking up him and Najimi. But it'll be better for him. Better for all of us. I opened up the shrine and slowly started taking out its contents one by one. I threw every single one of them away. Then I took the box and put it in my basement. I felt freed