Chapter 38

Eight weeks later...

"We've got an incoming trauma, 16 y/o male, GSWs to the back. Two mins out. I need some O neg ready and the crash cart on standby," Lauren the head nurse yelled. "Let's go guys."

Layla ran to the trauma room, prepping it for arrival. She had been working in the Emergency Department for six weeks now. Upon her return back home, HR sent her straight to get certified as an ER nurse due to the shortage.

"Incoming," the paramedic yelled. "16 y/o black male shot in the back several times. Once we arrived on the scene, he was still in handcuffs. We had to get them removed in order to treat. BP is 200/140 pulse is tachy."

Layla helped the paramedic wheel him into the trauma room

Layla helped the paramedic wheel him into the trauma room. "His skin is cool and his heart is racing." Layla took out her pen light. "His pupils are dilated. He's going into to shock. I need some help NOW."

"Paging Dr. Bell to the ER stat," sounded over the intercom.

"We have to stabilize him before we rush him up the OR, and he's bleeding everywhere," Lauren told the team

"We have to stabilize him before we rush him up the OR, and he's bleeding everywhere," Lauren told the team. She gave out orders and every followed.

It took awhile but once they were able to stabilize the his vital signs, they transferred him right to the OR for emergency surgery.

"Good job everybody," Lauren applauded. "Let's clean up and then everyone take a 5."

Layla began throwing all the blood filled linens in the biohazard bin. She wiped and disinfected all the surfaces. After the room was fixed back to norm Layla went to the locker room to clean up. She starred in the mirror for a while.

Her Apple watch, a gift from Rell, dinged off signaling a text. She looked down and saw a message from him saying come outside.

She smiled brightly, threw on her jacket and she speed walk through the ER to go out to the parking lot. "Where are you going so fast," Lauren asked.

"Taking a five outside."

"Take lunch one time. It's slow for now."

Layla nodded and continued out to the parking lot. There sat Rell on the benching smirking as she approached him.