Vernon (Seventeen)

(Play Music When You See "*")

Walking through the hallway to get to my class, someone suddenly taps onto my shoulder from behind. "Excuse me..."

Turning around, I come face to face with a student I've never seen before. His hair was almost a golden brown color and he looked like a foreigner. "Yes?"

"Um, how can I get to the office? I'm kinda lost," he shyly smiled and scratched the back of his head. 

"The teacher's office is on the first floor, this is the 2nd floor. When you get off the stairs, take a left and walk down, you should see the office sign to your left."

"Ah, thank you." He smiled and bowed before we both walked away.

~~~

I sit in the back of the second row from the window. As I'm reading my book before class starts, I can hear some of the girls gossiping in the seats up front. 

"He's a drop-dead gorgeous human being with beautiful brown eyes and a perfect smile!" She squealed.

"He doesn't look Korean, is he a transfer student?" 

"Who cares, I'd let him take me any day!"

"OMG stop~"

Ugh, they're so loud and annoying. ... ... ... Was it that guy I ran into earlier? 

Suddenly, the door slid open and our teacher Mr. Kim walked in, making everyone rush to their seats. "Everyone, we have a new student joining us today." He turned to the door and motioned for him to come in, and of course, it was the guy I helped earlier. "Introduce yourself." 

"Hello, my name's Hansol Vernon Choi. I'm from New York. Please take good care of me." He bowed and the girls started clapping like seals. 

"How are you so good at Korean?" Sungwon, the school's tough guy, asked. He was clearly annoyed because even his girlfriend Hyunjoo was clapping. 

Vernon looked a bit hesitant but then said, "My mom's American and my dad's Korean."

The girls looked head over heels for Vernon while the guys in the room were glaring at him. Suddenly, Vernon made eye contact with me and he lit up. He smiled at me that was enough for the girls to start glaring at me. 

Mr. Kim said, "Okay, let's get started with the lecture. You can go sit in the empty seat back there with ____." 

I could feel all the drama and threats I was going to get as soon as class was over. 

*Play Music Here*

Unlike my mood, Vernon sat next to me and flashed me a boyish smile. "Hi there." 

I just awkwardly smiled back and turned away, feeling uncomfortable. Just as soon as I looked away, I made eye contact with the popular girl Hyunjoo. Yes, you guessed it. She was glaring at me. Feeling frustrated, I dropped my head onto my desk and internally screamed. 

~~~

The class was finally over and I needed to get out of the classroom. Vernon turned to me and said, "It's nice seeing you again. What a coincidence-" But I was already up and kind of running out of the classroom. 

Before I could even get far away enough, someone shouted, "Yah ___!"

I closed my eyes and sighed. It was Hyunjoo. Turning around with a calm smile, I said, "Yes?" 

With her little clique behind her, they all stomped towards me with their arms crossed. Standing in front of me, Hyunjoo huffed and said, "I called dibs on the new guy already. I saw him first. Don't you try to do anything funny."