Chapter 2 (Luna's Backstory)

(Luna's POV)   

     I was born on Halloween in 1993 and died on my birthday in 2011. I had brown hair and hazel eyes. I lived along Bayou Teche which runs through New Iberia, giving way to the city's nickname "Queen of the Teche." Louisiana is famous for mostly the Mardi Gras festival in New Orleans. We never went there since it was over 2 hours away, so we'd end up visiting The Shadows on The Teche Plantation. We only did that twice.

     From what I can recall I was happy, until I turned 6. That was when I first seen my father having his mood swings. He'd be happy and loving one minute but then be angry and cruel within the next minute. I made him a birthday card at school for him once. He loved it at first, but then a minute later he hated it, tore it up and threw it away. So, I never made things for him again. His cycle of mood swings and violent outbursts continued and eventually Gwen came into our lives when I was 10.

     I'm not gonna lie, I hated her. I knew she hated me too. She would beat me for the slightest issues that were her fault to begin with. I told my father about how she treated me, but his anger got worse when I did. Even though I was innocent, I was always at fault in their eyes. This went on and on for years until... well you've seen my file.

     School and the bayou were really the only reasons I got up in the morning. They were my only escape out of the house, where I wasn't being beaten up psychologically or physically. At school I only had a couple of friends that didn't run from me when they learned about my dysfunctional family, and I was grateful for that. They liked me for me. I was free to be myself around them. While I loved my friends, I also envied them for having the childhoods I wished I had growing up. We shared common interests like music, art etc.

     I learned more about myself in school. I liked art, English, recess of course, gym was always fun though I was terrible at sports, and I hated math and science to no end. What I really loved was my music classes. In music, I learned about the different genres that existed and found I liked a mix of every style out there. Well except metal and heavy metal. My absolute favorite Jazz and all the genres that are considered Jazz. I was also a great singer. I sang soprano but in alto as well, anything lower I can't do. I also had a strong interest in myths, legends, the supernatural...if there was something dark and mysterious, I wanted to know more about it.

     Once school was over for the summer, I was usually alone. I would leave the house and just play by myself most of the time. Sure, I had my friends, but they had other activities, so I didn't see them as often. It stayed that way until I was 14. I was walking along the bayou when I saw this older woman having a hard time carrying her groceries. I ran over and helped her carry her bags back to her home, which for some reason was further away from all people in general.

     When we go to her home, it looked like a rundown shack. I followed her inside and it made me almost regret going in. There were bottles with bones, organs and herbs, animal skulls and skins, books, creepy dolls and spooky masks were everywhere, a large cauldron like pot stood in the middle of her home. Two beds were along one wall, while a long bench sat underneath her one window. I immediately thought that she must work for some voodoo doctor.

     She sat her stuff down, went into a back room and changed out of her long summer dress into a voodoo priestess outfit. A long beige, off the shoulder dress, with her hair wrapped in cloth and a colorful band to keep it up. Large bracelets were on both of her wrists and a large necklace made with arrowheads and animal fangs was around her neck. That's when she told me to sit down.

     Her name was Mama Belle, she was a priestess of both Voodoo and Hoodoo, and apparently no one visited her other than for her potions and spells. She was grateful for me helping her, so she asked me what I would like in return. I thought about it, but I smiled and told her I didn't want anything and that I was happy to help. She looked a little shocked, but she smiled and chuckled to herself. Apparently, she wasn't surprised by my answer and had been watching me for a long while, which I found a little creepy. She knew I had been alone for a long time, so she offered for me to come visit her whenever I wanted to.