Chapter 22

Luna jolted upright in a panic, sweat and tears coming off her face, having been woken up by yet another nightmare. She turned to the left side of the bed to find Alastor was not there, but a note was left in his place. It was too dark to see, so Luna had to turn on the lamp to read what the note said. 'My dear Luna, I have gone out to hunt and run some errands. Please feel free to explore your new home, however do not go into the room with the pentagram symbol on it, I will explain what that room is in due time. My shadow will assist you should you need anything. I will be back soon. With love, Alastor'

Luna sighed and looked at the clock on her side of the bed, it was a quarter past six. "Well, Alastor will be busy for a while so I might as well go back to sleep." Luna tried to do just that but when she had flashbacks from her nightmare, she sighed in frustration. "On second thought, I should just get up and do something until he gets back." She said to herself as she got up and made the bed before going into the closet to grab her clothes and then head for the shower.

After forty minutes of showering, drying, putting on clothes and cleaning up after herself, she was ready to do something as she put her hair into a loose ponytail. She wore her dark blue jeans and black racer back tank top with her purple jacket. Her boots she left in the closet as she wasn't sure if she was going outside or not. She left the bathroom, grabbed her medicine and phone and headed downstairs to the kitchen. She took her medication with a glass of water and headed to the library.

'Maybe I can find something that can help me understand my nightmares.' She thought to herself as she entered the room. There were lots of books, from spell books to novels to history. She searched though many spell books she believed had the information she was looking for, but after over an hour of looking through them, there was nothing that would help her.

Alastor's shadow came in to check on Luna as she put away the last of the spell books. "Hello again." She said with a soft smile and the shadow bowed before her. It gave her a questioning look as if to ask what she was doing. "I thought I could find a spell book that would provide some information I was seeking, but my search came up empty." Luna said sadly. "It's alright though, I'm sure I can find the information some other way." She said with optimism. The shadow smiled before leaving Luna alone once more.

She was about to leave the room when a title caught her eye: "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald. She remembered reading this book for English class when she was in high school and loved it, so it was nice to know that Alastor had the book as well. She carefully took the book from the shelf, walked over to the large chaise lounge chair and curled up with the book. The sunlight filled the room, so there was no need to turn the lights on. It also hit her just enough to warm her up. After a while, Luna unknowingly grew tired and fell asleep just as Nick Carraway tells about Jay Gatsby's life story. Alastor's shadow came in and saw she was asleep, so it grabbed a blanket and covered her up with it, moving her hands that held the book gently, so it wouldn't disturb her and then left the room.

It was almost nine by the time Alastor came home through the back door. He not only brought back more venison, but he also brought home organs and some bones for some of the rituals he performed. He didn't expect his errands to take so long, but with Charlie, Vaggie and Baxter needing answers as to how Luna was doing, he went over to the hotel on his way back home and explained that she was fine but needed more time to recover. Before he left, Alastor pulled Charlie aside to tell her that Luna needed to talk to her when she got back, and Charlie made a note of it.

He inspected his clothes and found that despite his best efforts, there were some blood spatter on him, so slipping off his dress shoes he set off for the bedroom. He walked passed the library and saw that Luna was asleep in the chair holding a book in her hands. Upon closer inspection, he chuckled when he saw she had been reading "The Great Gatsby". He quietly left the room and headed for the bedroom.