Chapter 18

It turned out that the entire medical ward would need renovating and even though Alastor's and Charlie's insurances would cover the damages, the time it would take to rebuild would be long. So, in the meantime, Luna and Baxter had other things they could do while construction was underway. Luna helped everywhere she could around the hotel aside from her usual jobs and Baxter went to conferences, other hospitals, doctors' offices and on occasion home visits. There were times Luna had to go with him for the home visits, but other than that, she just stayed at the hotel.

     Then there were the roles she played in outside of work. A patient to Baxter, a student/girlfriend to Alastor, and a friend/mediator/mother to everyone in the hotel. Having to be all these people for so many demons sometimes drove her nuts but, in the end, she couldn't imagine her afterlife without being all these things, especially if it meant helping her friends, seeing them smile and happy once more.

     Today Luna was playing the student/girlfriend as she and Alastor sat in the back seat while the driver took them a location where an important meeting was take place. Two days earlier, he explained that the two of them would be meeting with an acquaintance of his to discuss some landscaping ideas to freshen up the outside of the hotel since part of it was destroyed by Sir Pentious. The only reason Charlie and Vaggie were not going with them was because they were going to do another interview with Katie Killjoy and Tom Trench on the latest success of the hotel, so that left Baxter in charge of the hotel since it was too risky leaving it to Husk or Angel for obvious reasons.

     Luna wore a short sleeved purple flannel shirt with a black tank top underneath, dark blue jeans and her boots. Charlie had suggested that she buy something more businesslike, but Luna could never afford anything like that, so she went with one of her better outfits. She thought about bringing a jacket but decided against it upon discovering some holes along the bottom of it from Angel's pet pig Fat Nuggets. That was the last time she was going to leave any clothing around when Fat Nuggets is in the vicinity.

     As cars and buildings seemed to zip by, Luna just stared out the window recalling what Alastor said to her the night before. 'The demon we'll meet is much like myself in some ways. He's a deal maker and doesn't always keep his word, but I respect what he does with plants and how he runs his businesses. He's the best person to go to for the landscape of the hotel.'

     Even though she agreed to go with him to this meeting, she still felt unsure if this was the best choice. Sure, she was helping Charlie and Vaggie by going with Alastor but deep down, Luna felt Charlie should be at this meeting, not her. She kept staring out the window while trying to take calming breaths. Luna breathed in some lavender before Alastor came to pick her up and even placed some in her pocket on her flannel shirt, but even then, this did nothing to ease her nerves. Seeing Luna's nervousness, Alastor told the driver to roll up the partition window and once it was all the way up, he wrapped his arms around her and pulled her close to him. He thought this simple gesture would relax her a least a little bit, but sadly, this didn't have the desired effect he was hoping for.

     "Luna dear, I know you are anxious filling in for Miss Charlie, but I assure you, everything will be fine." He purred softly into her ear. "Do you know why I asked you to come with me to this meeting?" Seeing Luna shake her head no, Alastor continued. "The reason I asked you to come with me is because even though he can be nasty to the demons around him, he warms up to those who treat him with kindness, respect and an endless amount of patience. I believe that you are one of the few that he'll warm up to as long as you stay your sweet and charming self." This seemed to calm her down a bit, for she leaned into his embrace, which made him smile widely and purr in delight.