Chapter 20

After the first of the new year, things had really started to pick up the pace for Luna. When Christmas ended, the landscaping crew was finished and not long after that, the construction on the new and improved medical ward was finally completed. On New Year's Day, there were more and more demons coming to try Charile's rehabilitation program as part of a new year's resolution, this also meant more patients for Luna and Baxter to treat for various illnesses, but they didn't mind.

Luna continued helping the other demons as much as she could but there were times that she needed to get away. While she did improve a bit, she was still introverted so she could only handle so much socialization at one time, even if it was just with one demon. One day proved to be a bad one for her, as there was so much going on at once that even she couldn't keep up with the pace. So, with Charlie and Baxter's permission, she left the Hotel and went to her secluded willow tree to practice her magic and possibly meditate if she had time.

Whenever she came to the tree, she had a bag meant for her offerings to Papa Legba and any other offerings for whomever she was wanting to communicate with. This time she had offerings were for Gran Bwa, the master of the wilderness. There was no snow in Hell and since there was no wind either, she placed a circle of red and black colored dust on the ground in front of the trunk of the tree, then Luna drew with the dust Papa Legba's veve, lit four red and black candles on each point of the cross, three candies and a small bowl on top of the veve, before burning her petition in the bowl. Luna then spoke to the symbol in front of her. "Papa Legba, I hope you are well today. I bring you four red and black candles, some rum and three candies. I hope you enjoy them. The reason I'm calling you is to ask for your permission to speak to Gran Bwa, if that is alright with both of you sir."

She then moved the bowl and poured some rum on the veve and a few moments later, the veve glowed and she heard a male voice in her head saying it was alright to speak with Gran Bwa. Moving to a respectable distance away she did the same for Gran Bwa, placing a green and brown circle of dust as well as Gran Bwa's veve and placed a green lit candle, some fresh fallen leaves and sticks, a cigar, a small bottle of rum and finally a bowl with her petition inside on top of the veve before burning it as well.

In the same fashion she spoke to the veve. "Gran Bwa, I hope you are well today. I bring you a green candle, some fresh fallen leaves and sticks, a cigar and some rum. I hope you enjoy them. The reason I'm calling upon you is to thank you for giving me a place to call upon all Loa and to ask for your guidance in herbs and roots to use against hexes sir." She moved the bowl and poured rum on the veve, and just like Papa Legba's veve, Gran Bwa's glowed and she heard another male voice in her head asking what herbs and roots she had used. She explained that there were demons coming to her believing they were hexed, she tried using blood root and gave them caraway seeds for protection, but they seemed to have not worked for them. There isn't very much in the way of roots and herbs for protection in Hell, so she had very little to use.

"What can I do to help them sir? I want to help them the best I can, but there's only so much I can do." Gran Bwa's circle glowed and he told her that she was doing all she can with so little. He thanked her for helping the demons as well as the respecting the woods so for that, he would help her however he can, but for now, she had to keep doing what she was doing. His circle disappeared, taking everything except the bowl but before he left her mind, he said to talk to Papa Legba. She thanked Gran Bwa for his giving his time to talk to her and for helping her. Afterwords, she returned to Papa Legba's circle and spoke again. "Umm.... Gran Bwa said you wanted to talk to me sir?" she said.

The next thing Luna knew, a strong wind came through and just like Gran Bwa's circle, everything disappeared except the bowl. The wind died down and everything became silent. She was confused and scared as to what was going on, until she heard someone on the right side of her. She slowly got up and walked towards the noise past the leaves of the tree. She saw an elderly man who appeared more human than most demons in Hell and it seemed he had fallen on the ground.