Chapter 16

For the next few weeks, it went smoothly for Luna. She would work hard in the medical ward, meet Baxter for her therapy sessions, help Niffty and Husk with housekeeping and the bar, cook supper for everyone and just as Alastor promised, he ate dinner with Luna every evening and kept his mouth shut when she had missed a meal. She continued working on her magic with help from Alastor of course, and to his delight she was progressing very well, to the point that she could talk to the shadows and ghosts that resided here in Hell. This was important because anyone who practiced voodoo or hoodoo can control them, the only difference was that Luna would treat all shadows and ghosts with kindness and respect, thus making them trust her enough to help with anything she asked.

By this time, Halloween was coming up. So, in the spirit of All Hallows Eve and based on the success the hotel had last time, Alastor and Charlie decided to throw another event. However, not everyone was excited about this holiday. Whenever Halloween came around there was usually more chaos and destruction, thus more demons ending up getting sick, injured or even show up dead in every hospital in Hell. Every doctor and nurse usually prepared themselves for what was to come and for Luna and Baxter, they decided to be extra prepared by making sure they had more than enough beds and supplies before the event was to begin.

Luna really didn't want to celebrate Halloween, in fact she wished it would just go right to November 1st. Once Halloween came around, her mind would be filled with darkness, anxiety and pain from the night she died and no matter what she did, it never went away. Work was the only thing that helped keep her occupied. Molly was the only one who knew about this, so she would check in on Luna every hour when they worked at the hospital. This time Molly wouldn't be able to do that. So as much as she wanted the holiday to not come, she knew she had to suck it up and push on.

On the day of the event, everyone was given the morning off to prepare themselves for the evening with the same roles as last time. Some of them noticed that Luna was keeping to herself more than usual. Charlie, Baxter and Niffty had asked if she was okay, her only response was a small nod and walk away from them. After seeing them ask her for the fourth time, Molly called everyone together and explained what usually happens to her on Halloween. As much as everyone wanted to help Luna, Molly explained that it wouldn't do any good. The best thing was to just leave her be until the holiday was over. Everyone but Alastor accepted this and had an idea that was sure to work.

At around four o'clock, he made sure no one was around before entering the medical ward. Luna was double checking the supplies needed for the night when she heard the double doors swing and saw Alastor walk through the door in a slightly nervous way. "Alastor? What's the matter?" Luna asked with a hint of concern.

"Do you have time to talk my dear? I would have talked to Baxter, but he's preoccupied right now." Alastor said. She nodded and motioned towards a bed furthest from the door. Alastor walked to the bed and laid down on it while Luna closed the curtain to give them privacy before she grabbed a chair and sat down crossing one leg over the other. She wondered what was making him act so nervously, it wasn't like him at all. "So, what is it that you wanted to talk about Alastor?"

"I'm concerned about a friend of mine. They've been keeping to themselves lately, and it's not at all like them." Alastor said as he turned his head to look at Luna. "There have been others who have tried to talk to them, but their efforts seem to be in vain."

Luna took note of the similarities with this 'friend' of his and herself. "Do you know why your friend is keeping to themselves?"

"I'm not quite sure. A friend of theirs told me and my associates that they seem to do this every year around this time and nothing they do seems to help except to keep themselves occupied with work until it's over." Alastor explained.