Chapter 3

Luna sighed as she walked down the street going to work. Lucifer and Lilith wondered if Luna even a demonic form existed in her, because of how pure she was presenting herself, but that was something she also had to find out on her own.

     So, after she was sent on her way, Luna found an apartment that should have been torn down long ago, a job at one of the few decent hospitals as a registered nurse, and surprisingly kept herself out of harm's way from the many dangers of Hell. Everything from massive turf wars outside the hospital to being raided of the drug supply within the hospital's pharmacy and she still didn't get hurt or worse, because as it turned out you can get killed a second time in Hell. If you died in Hell, there was no redemption for you. When she learned this, she knew she needed to find a way to protect herself, but she wasn't sure how to do that.

     Luna walked briskly through the employee entrance, saying her hellos to the other nurses and security guards as she went into the employee lounge. "Hey Luna! You're usually here 20 minutes early, are you alright?" Molly the spider demon asked with concern. She had worked at the gift shop and front desk when Luna started out, but recently there was a job opening for unit clerk. When Molly learned it was on Luna's floor, she went for it wholeheartedly. Since there was no one else who applied, she was given the job on the spot.

     "I'm fine Molly, you don't have to worry about me all the time." Luna said with a reassuring smile. She knew there was more to it, but Molly decided not to press any further. "I'll always worry about you honey. By the way, I was told that Robert wanted to talk to you before you leave today. I don't know what it's about, but it sounded important." Molly said in a stern motherly tone. Luna looked at her with a raised eyebrow. "Hmm. Well thank you for letting me know that." Luna said as she walked into the locker room. "I may not know what it is, but I can take a guess." Molly teased as she followed behind Luna. "For the last time Molly, there's nothing going on with me and Robert and there never will be." Luna spoke with annoyance in her tone. "Oh, why not? You two would be perfect!" Molly whined.

     Luna sighed as she grabbed her scrubs from her locker. "Look, I promise that if I do find someone, you'll be the first to know. Until then, please stop setting me up with anyone and for the love of Satan, stop asking about me and Robert. Okay?" Molly sighed knowing full well she wasn't going to win this argument. "Alright... I just want you to find happiness in your life love, you deserve it." She said as she hugged her dear friend. "I know you want me to find someone I can be happy with Molly, but right now I'm not interested in a relationship with anybody. I want to be stable on my own without having someone else taking care of everything for me." Luna said softly while hugging her back. "I get that, but there's no problem with having the safety net of a partner to help you out when you need it." Molly said with her usual sassy attitude. "So that mean you want to be my safety net?" Luna said teasingly with a smirk on her lips. The two women laughed for a minute until Luna looked at the clock. "Crap, I need to get ready for my shift. You need to get behind the desk before the boss has another hissy fit." "Want me to help you with your hair again love?" Molly asked still laughing. "No, I think I got the hang of it. See you at lunch Moll!" Luna said as she went to change.

     She was able to change out of her normal clothes and into her work clothes within a few minutes. Her job required she wear a white tank top underneath white scrubs, with white tennis shoes. After she double tied her shoes, she walked to the mirror and brushed out her hair before attempting to put it up in a bun. She looked at herself in the full-length mirror.

At 5'5", she seemed to be the shortest demon in the room compared to the rest of the demons she worked with. She was on the curvier side, though she was healthy by all accounts. She had a darker skin tone, but that wasn't a huge surprise, she grew up in the hot and humid conditions of Louisiana, so it was impossible for her to not get a tan from that and her rosy-colored cheeks never changed either. The only parts of her body that were different compared to what she looked like before coming here were her eyes and hair. Her short brown hair had been replaced with long and wavy burgundy hair, and her eyes were now icy blue, which surprisingly complimented her hair color and complexion perfectly. The one thing that she was hoping to have on her was her pendant, so she was happy to learn that it was still on her. However, she was shocked to find the pendant, not on a chain around her neck but attached to her chest. Somehow, it had fused itself to her new body when she arrived in Hell, making it permanent.

     It was because of her outward appearance that several demons had asked her/told her she should either work in the entertainment side of Hell, work for that person, or be their lover. People in Hell seemed to be more interested in her looks than how she presented herself professionally. So, she gave the same answer every single time: 'Thank you for the offer, but I'm fine where I'm at right now.' She never said it in a mean way but made it a point to tell them that there was no changing her mind. If someone gave her a hard time though, one of the security guards were close enough to make sure that person didn't hurt Luna. She never really cared about how she looked, all that mattered to her was letting her personality shine through, but that was easier said then done.

     Luna sighed as she tried to work her hair into a bun. She wanted to cut her hair short like she had it in the living world, but for some reason her hair could never remain short. Whenever it was cut either by accident or by force, within seconds, it would grow back to that same length. It was as if her hair was cursed to remain this way. Besides, Molly loved to run her fingers through her hair whenever Luna needed help with it. Molly always complimented on how soft it was and yet have so much volume to it. Even though it is annoying at times, being a people pleaser, she let Molly play with her hair until Luna told her to knock it off. Finally, she got it into a perfect bun. She put on her name tag, looked herself over one more time, took a deep breath and went right to work.

     By noon, Luna had helped in 4 operations and got 3 unruly psych patients under control. She even helped play with a couple of kids while their mothers were getting some blood drawn. She wasn't supposed to do that, but it was either that, or have them crying the entire time and have other patients complain that the kids needed more discipline, while the mothers were doing the best they could and trying to not have an outburst in the waiting rooms. She decided to talk to Robert before heading off to lunch, so she walked to the main entrance.

     Robert was a large alligator demon, who was also head of security for the hospital. He wasn't too fond of her at first but when he got seriously hurt after a run in with some gang members outside the hospital, Luna was the first to tend to his injuries, thus earning his respect. He promptly returned her kindness by helping her out whenever she needed the help. Over time, they developed a brother-sister relationship. Like Molly, he worried for her safety, especially when he wasn't around to help her. He would assign one or two of his guys to watch her should she have any problems if he had to be in another area of the hospital. Luna found that irritating at times, but she always thanked him and his guys with her southern cooking whenever she had time.

     Robert saw Luna walk up to him with a tired smile. "Hey Luna! Wow you look beat." He said as he gave her a big bear hug. "Gee, thanks a lot." Luna teased. "Molly said you needed to talk to me?" "Yeah but let's go to the backroom." He said with a serious tone. He ordered one of his guys to cover for him and they went into a backroom not far from the entrance. It was the surveillance room, made to cover all the entrances, stairways and prohibited areas of the hospital including the outside courtyards and rooftop. "What is it Robert?" Luna asked, taking a seat in one of the chairs. "Luna, there's something I have to show you." He pulled up some footage from earlier this morning before her shift started. It showed 2 demons yelling and screaming at the security guards. When she heard what they were saying, it made her blood run cold.

     "Where is she?! Where's Luna?!" The tall one yelled. "Luna!! You better come out here before we kill you!!!" The shorter one screamed. The video stopped once they were thrown out. "These two have been coming in here for the past few nights when you're not on your shift. Do you know who they are?" Robert asked in a serious tone. Luna kept silent. She knew who they were, she couldn't believe they found her after all these years. Now that they know she works here, she's no longer safe. "Luna...please. I want to help you. If you don't tell me who they are, then I can't protect you. Please.... tell me who they are." He said in a soft and concerned manner. She was about to tell him when-

BOOM!!