Addiction

You've always been warned against addictions. How they could completely consume you. How they could destroy you. You've heard stories about people who got addicted to a certain drug and you never understood how they could let their lives be destroyed just for momentary pleasure. You never worried much about it though. Being a chamber maid did not really pay that well. You were too poor to be addicted to anything.

But before you knew it, it seemed you had developed one. Possibly the worst one.

Damon Salvatore....even his name seems like straight out of a story book. He had the kind of face that writers wrote pages about and a charm that poets dreamed of. He was enigmatic. He was radiant. But most of all, he was toxic.

To be fair, it wasn't really his fault. His intentions were clear from the beginning, you were the one who deluded yourself. But could anyone blame you?

It started off as a game. You had been newly appointed to the Salvatore Boarding House. The Master was loud and cunning, but you never had much interaction with him. The Mistress was a demure, sophisticated lady and she treated you well. Young Master Stefan was polite and courteous. In fact, everything would have been perfect if it wasn't for him. Young Master Damon

It started off innocently enough. Flirty words and intense stares which soon evolved to sensual touches and feathery light kisses. You tried your best to resist but eventually, against your better judgement, you gave in. It was a whirlwind romance, too fast and too exciting.

This started a very sordid, sensual and scandalous affair. You two were the only one who knew, and the thrill of hiding was part of its charm. Sneaking kisses and leaving letters. It all seemed like part of one of those romance novels that ladies were so fond of. He made you feels beautiful and loved. He would always say something that would steal your breath away and then follow it with a wink that would leave you a blushing mess. Everything was so perfect, you should've known it was too good to last.

She came in like a storm in your lives. Katherine Pierce. The 'poor' orphan girl. With her coy smiles and big, doe eyes she soon had the entire house wrapped around her little finger. It wasn't just that she was beautiful, it was the fact that she walked with the confidence of a queen. She was so different than any of the other ladies you had met. She was charming and flirty, but never demure. She wielded her beauty like a sword. She was an addiction in her own right and she had both the brothers hooked.

You couldn't really blame Damon though. She was to him what he was to you. A forbidden fruit, an irresistible flame. A love out of your league. An addiction.

You were sad at first. Devastated. You saw the way he looked at her. It was the same way he used to look at you, only now his eyes were more intense. With you, his eyes always had this tenderness to them. With her, that tender look was replaced by raw passion, bordering on obsession.

Not wanting to be destroyed, you wanted to be the one to walk away, you honestly did. But a lifetime to serving and obeying breaks your backbone. So, you waited for him to do so. Oddly enough, he never did. There was never anything to make or break your so-called relationship. It was just...there. Never official. How could it be, you were a maid for crying out loud. Poor and invisible.

Miss Katherine though? Oh she was too dynamic to be invisible.

She cleverly juggled her time with the brothers and Damon learned from her it seems. The cheeky but gentle Damon vanished and, in its place, came a cockier, more arrogant version of himself. He grew colder, meaner. It's like he was consumed with the need to be with her, and by association, like her. It started off as playful rebuttals but soon grew crueler. You were confused by his behavior, specially how the new Damon seemed to have a certain hatred for you. You were hurt. You spent a lot of your time hiding your tears but it seemed like he got off on it. He would taunt you throughout the day, no longer teasing. But the words weren't what hurt the most. Neither was his obvious love for Miss Katherine. No what truly hurt were the nights. Because no matter what the day brought, he never stopped approaching your chambers. Sure, his visits lacked the warmth they used to have, but they never stopped.

Don't get the wrong idea, you weren't a whore. Even before Miss Katherine arrived and destroyed everything, you never slept with him, your love was too pure and innocent. Whenever he visited, you'd spent the night talking about anything and everything and exchanging kisses. Those were the moments, the memories that assured you that what you had with him was real and not some garbed fantasy.

But now? He would still visit. You would resist with all you have, still smarting from his comments, you'd turn your back and push his approaching hands away and tell him to leave. But like you said, you were an addict. One look at his eyes and you would melt. Because in those precious, secret moments, his eyes would hold the gentle affection they used to. You could recognize the man you fell for and you would give in. against your better judgement, against everything you believe in, against hope, against sanity, because you finally understood why drug addicts live the way they do. It's not that they don't know that they were being destroyed, they did, and they were willing to be destroyed if they could only have those fleeting, beautiful moments of pleasure.

And so it became a routine. The days would comprise of harsh jibes at your expense, and nights would hold tender touches and apologetic kisses. His words would be cruel, but his hands would be gentle. You no longer exchanged any words during the night. Now you would lay in his arms, in silence and communicate through your eyes and your touch. He's kiss your tears away and you'd smooth over the worry lines in his forehead. He's leave in the early hours with a gentle kiss to your forehead or your eyelids and then greet you in a few hours with a 'I see the bread is not completely stale today'.

You weren't blind, or stupid. You knew he was playing you, just like she was playing him. Maybe it was his way of coping, maybe it was his way of revenge on her, or maybe he was an addict too. Whatever the case, you knew you got the shorter end of the stick and you found that you didn't really care.

You knew this would destroy you one day. It was tiring. It was too much

But they don't call it an addiction for nothing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sowwy?

I really don't know what to say in my defence for the LATE update, so im just gonna brace myself for the death threats.

Anyways hope you guys aren't too mad to comment, I could really use some motivation right now, the writer in me is dying.

i<3choc35