The Mate Bond

Vampire-Mates AU

She had no idea.

Of course she didn't. He made sure she never found out. He wasn't sure at first, he's spent a millennia considering it a myth. There's no way you could completely fall in love with someone with just a supernatural soulmate connection. Falling in love required effort and time and consent.

Oh how wrong he was. He didn't have a choice. He never did. One look, one smell, one second was all it took. He was hers.

They met quite by accident. She was new in Mystic Falls, just another naive human who would most likely end up as a snack to one of the many monsters that roamed the town. Yet somehow she managed to evade doom. She wasn't interested in unnecessary drama, she made friends, and lived peacefully. He wouldn't even have noticed the pretty little thing if they hadn't bumped into each other at Mystic Grill.

He was brooding, after having just witnessed his brother drive off with Elena, leaving an empty feeling inside of him. Elena was a pure soul, and he was drawn towards her. But she wasn't Katherine, like he had to keep reminding himself. Yet watching her with his brother set off all the wrong feelings inside of him, like 1864 all over again.

He usually ignored the mumblings around him and the other customers had enough sense to heed his dark mood and steer clear. And could you blame them? He looked like trouble as it was, even when he was joking and smiling. When he was actually angry, he seemed downright dangerous.

Suddenly a voice cut through the distant buzzing in his head 'OKAY, THAT'S IT'

He glanced up, distractedly and saw the back of a woman standing by the bar and a greasy old man in front of her. He didn't know either of those, but it didn't take a genius to deduce that that guy had been bothering the lady for a while. And considering the outburst, she had had enough.

'Okay, i'm gonna say it once, and i'll use simple words so you understand. I have a good degree,  a stable job, I own my own house and drive my own car. Knowing all that, why in heaven's name do you presume I need you? Get over yourself and let me have my drink in peace'

The guy scoffed, muttered a weak 'whatever, you're not even that hot' and scampered off. The girl shook her head and turned back to the bar, downed her drink in one go and reached for her purse. And that's when it happened.

 Their eyes met. 

And suddenly it was like he was burning. He became hyper aware of the blood pumping through his veins, he felt his fangs elongate involuntarily, the chatter of his surroundings almost vanished and his vision seemed to be zeroed on her. And that's when her scent hit him. An exquisite blend of alcohol and ink and something spicy, yet sweet he couldn't put his finger on. And just as it had started, it was over. The eye contact was broken and she was gone.

He sat there for a few minutes, panting. Why the hell was he panting, he's a vampire, he didn't get tired. And who was she? What just happened. He felt unsettled. As if everything in this world had just shifted by a small margin, just enough for his eyes to notice. He felt on edge, he felt uncertain. And he didn't like that. 

He didn't like that at all.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It didn't take him long to figure out that she was his mate. His god given life partner. At first he was angry, then he thought it didn't need to matter. But he soon realized that, yes it did. Because after that fateful day in Mystic Grill, she was suddenly everywhere. He noticed her wherever he went. On the roads, at Elena's school, and of course at the The Grill.