+ chapter twenty six

+ raelynn's pov

"Happy birthday, baby!"

Grayson's soft voice awoken me. He attacked me with hugs and kisses as I laughed.

"Thank you, Gray. Yesterday was one of the best days I've had."

"I'm glad, but there's more today," he beamed.

He got out of bed, walking towards the bathroom.

My phone vibrated with messages from Jonah and Addison wishing me a happy birthday.

"You know you guys don't have to do all of this," I said following him. "I would've been happy with a movie marathon at home."

"But that's why we did it. You deserve this, Rae."

He wrapped his arms around my waist leaving kisses on my cheek. I smiled, turning my head and giving him a kiss on his lips.

"You have the afternoon with your mom and the evening with Addy, Jonah and I," he informed me.

I nodded as I hopped into the shower, getting ready for the day. Grayson was getting dressed quickly, heading downstairs.

Once I was done, I stepped out of the shower heading to my room. I picked out my outfit and my make up.

The doorbell rang as I heard Grayson yell, "I'll get it!"

I heard the voice of my mother as I rushed to get ready to greet her. Walking down the stairs, I saw Grayson talking to my mom. They hadn't met before so I was worried about what she was going to think.

The sound of my footsteps caught their attention and they both looked at me.

"Aw, happy birthday, love," my mom walked towards me, enveloping me in an embrace.

"Thank you, mom."

She handed me a bag as she motioned me to open it. I sat on the couch, nervous to see what was inside. Moving the tissue paper, I noticed a small velvet box. I pulled it out, opening it to a silver locket with the initials of R.J.

"It was your grandfather's necklace which was passed down to your dad. Your father was so exicited to give it to you when you turned 23 because that's when he received it, also." I noticed slight tears forming in mom's eyes.

I walked over hugging her, tying to comfort her. "I love it, mom. Thank you. I love you."

"I love you too, Raelynn. Your dad couldn't be prouder of you," she smiled. She looked towards Grayson and grinned harder. "Your dad would also be happy you've found yourself someone, also."

"Thank you, Ms Jordan," Grayson smiled. "I should go and let you have your time. But I'll see you soon, Rae."

"See you later, Gray," I replied.

He gave me a kiss before walking out the door.

"He's a keeper, Rae," my mom said.

"I was worried you wouldn't like him."

"I couldn't dislike anyone that makes you happy, love." She held my face in her hands, sending me a smile.

She took the necklace out of my hands, "here, let me put it on you." I held my hair as she clasped together the locket.

I looked down, holding the necklace in my hand. "I wish he was with us," I sighed.

"I do too."

Mom grabbed my hands leading me towards the door, "It's your birthday, we should be having fun today."

We both hopped into the car, getting breakfast and then going to the shopping mall. It was sort of tradition my family had. Mom and dad would always take me out in the afternoon and then spend the rest of the day watching home, family movies.

+

Laughter took over my body as I sat at the cafe with mom. We had been shopping for almost three hours, bags piled onto our hands.

"Grandma and Grandpa hated that rabbit," I chuckled.

Our laugher died down as we both reminisced on all our old memories.

"This probably isn't the best time to say this but I didn't know when to tell you," my mom broke the silence.

"Is everything okay?" I asked, getting anxious.

"Not really. I just... I just having been feeling happy in LA anymore. With your dad gone, I haven't found anything remotely close to making me feel like my old self. I don't want to force you to come with me but I decided to move back to Arizona. Leaving you is probably the last thing I want but I hope you understand where I'm coming from. I want you to make your own decisions and you're old enough to know what's right. I just hope you don't chose to come to Arizona with me if it's not what you want."

A shocked expression took over as I took in my mom's words.

"I don't want to leave you but it's best for me," she said.

"I... I understand. I just hope I didn't do anything to make you want to leave."

"Of course not, Rae. You could never do anything to want me to leave you. You're the only family left here and I've never really enjoyed being in LA either."

"Mom, you don't have to explain yourself. I understand where you're coming from and this probably is best for you." Dad's death hit us both in the worst ways. Mom never took it well and it caused a dent in our relationship. I'm glad moving might make her happier.

She stood up walking towards me, wrapping me in her arms. "You know, if you ever need anything, I'm on the next flight here. You're above everything, Rae. Please don't think I'm abandoning or leaving you," she whispered, caressing my hair.

"I know, Mom. It's just... as soon as we fiz our relationship, you're moving," I sighed.

"It's bad timing, I know. But hopefully this will be better for me, mentally."

"How long are you staying in LA?" I asked.

"Unfortunately, I won't be here when you arrive. I'm sorry I'm telling you so late. I just didn't know when to tell you."

"Arrive? From where?" I said, confused.

"I guess you don't know. Grayson will tell you later today, maybe," she smirked. So Grayson has something to do with it. "Grayson's a good guy, Rae. I trust him to keep you safe when I'm not here."

"Thank you, mom. For everything. I'm gonna miss you," I sobbed.

"I'll visit all the time, baby, I promise." We hugged again, as I cried on her shoulder.

"Thank you for today, Mom. I've had a lot of fun and I'll miss days like this."

She kissed my cheek, hugging me again. "Never hesitate to call me. Whatever you need, I'm always here," she whispered into my hair. "I love you, Raelynn, a lot.

"I love you too, Ma." I kissed her cheek as we both walked to my car.

I drove to her house, carrying her bags in. Before leaving I helped her pack any last items.

"This is it. I'll hopefully see you soon and I promise to visit you," Mom reassured.

We both hugged for what felt like the hundredth time and sobbed into each other's shoulders.

"I love you, Mom."

+

longer chapter! if you're still reading after all these terrible chapters, i love you. thanks for sticking around for so long <3

recommendation:
captivatingethan
i'll be good ; ethan dolan
[complete]