Chapter Ten: Returning to Barcelona

Hailey looked around her apartment one last time, this would be the final time she would be there and it made her stomach turn; she took a deep breath as she felt Gerard wrap his arms around her.

“Are you ready to go?” the footballer asked as he pressed a kiss to her neck, the last two weeks had shown him that things between them hadn’t changed even if she had been with another man for eight years.

Gerard hadn’t forgotten what she had done and while he would never forget, he was willing to forgive her for what had happened.

Hailey nodded her head as she turned to look at the footballer, she was wearing a stripe jumper and white low rise skinny ankle grazer jeans with ripped knee paired with black multi buckle ankle boots for their flight back to Barcelona.

“It’ll be okay,” Gerard said as he tried to reassure Hailey, a lot of people weren’t going to be happy about her coming back with him and what she had done; however he didn’t care, those who knew what had happened and were willing to stand by him were the only ones that mattered.

Hailey sighed as she rested her head against Gerard’s, this wasn’t going to be easy; her parents had been far too quiet since they had discovered that she was back with Gerard and he knew that he was the father of the twins.

“I’m ready,” Hailey said as she collected her beige messenger bag so that they could leave, the blonde was a little nervous especially since she could now only get on a plane with the twins if Gerard was with them; the footballer was determined to make sure that he didn’t lose his family.

Gerard nodded his head as he pressed a brief kiss to her lips before he turned his attention to the twins; there was so much for them to discuss when they got to his home in Esplugues de Llobregat, Barcelona.

***

Gerard smiled to himself as he bonded with his children, he’d missed out on the first five years of their lives and he wasn’t going to miss out on a moment more; he just hoped that things worked out between him and Hailey.

“Papa what do you do?” Kaitlyn asked as she looked at her father curiously, her blue eyes sparked as she looked up at him; Gerard still wasn’t used to the twins calling him their father, he couldn’t help but smile every time they called him papa.

“I play football,” Gerard said with a soft smile on his face as he glanced over at Hailey, she was listening even if she wasn’t sat near them; he felt a little guilty for leaving her sitting alone but it couldn’t be helped when the rows on the plane were three seats long.

Garrett furrowed his brow as he looked at his father, he remembered all of the football matches that his mother had watched and how upset David had been when she had tried to get them to watch.

“David said that playing football wasn’t a real job,” Kaitlyn said as she looked out of the window, she missed the look on her father’s face at her words; Gerard swallowed as he looked over at Hailey, who mouthed an apology.

David hadn’t liked the footballer after their affair, he had done everything in his power to undermine Gerard as the twins grew up; he wanted to show that he had the better job and could provide for his family.

“That’s because it’s a special job,” Hailey said making Gerard smile, he nodded his head knowing that she was trying to help; the blonde had done everything to try and stop David from belittling Gerard to the twins but there was only so much that she could do without him hurting her.

Kaitlyn and Garrett looked at their father before he started to talk about what he did, a smile was painted onto his face as he spoke about his work; he was thrilled to tell them about the club that he played for.

Hailey watched him this meant a lot to him, she just hoped that she could make up for all that he had missed; she had been in constant contact with Gerard’s parents since the twins had been born and the couple had been in on the secret as much as Cesc and Lionel had been.

“You’ll like Barcelona… it’s where your madre grew up with me,” Gerard said snapping Hailey out of her thoughts, she smiled as she thought about her childhood; she had always been close friends with Gerard and Cesc, especially when she entered her teens since it was a way to rebel against her parents.

Hailey brushed some hair from her face as the pilot announced that they were going into land, she took a deep breath soon she would have to face the life that she had left behind and the backlash that she would be forced to deal with.

***

“I had my padre sort out the twins bedrooms,” Gerard said as he looked at Hailey, he could tell that she was nervous and he didn’t blame her; a lot of people were far from pleased about her coming back with the twins.

It was the reason that Gerard had sent Cesc and Lionel back a head of them so that they could explain to his team-mates what had happened; he didn’t want anyone causing Hailey any trouble when all she had done was protect the twins from her parents.

If anyone knew how dangerous Harold and Natasha Álvarez were then it was Gerard, they had done everything to drive him away from Hailey in the past and they would come back to haunt him now that he had the twins and Hailey back in his life.

“It’ll be okay… I swear Hails, no one is going to ruin this for us,” Gerard said as he took his girlfriend’s hand, he smiled to himself as he thought about their relationship; they had gotten back together a week ago and he wasn’t going to allow anyone to change that for them.

Hailey nodded her head as she allowed Gerard to pull her close, his lips eagerly finding hers as they waited for their luggage; he kissed her knowing that they would have a nice long discussion when they had all settled down.

“I’m not going to lose you or the twins,” Gerard said shaking his head as he brushed some hair from her face, he rested his head against hers as he offered her a small smile; he didn’t care what it took anymore, he wasn’t going to risk losing her or the twins.

Hailey took a deep breath as she nodded her head, she knew that there was nothing that she could say that would ease his own mind; she had betrayed him once and she didn’t wish to do it again.

“I love you Geri,” Hailey said as she smiled at Gerard before she turned her attention to the twins that were stood beside them, she had a lot of making up to do; Hailey looked at Gerard as he squeeze her hand to regain her full attention.

“I love you too Hails,” Gerard said knowing that she was nervous about how he felt about her, there was still so much work that they had to do to fix their relationship but the footballer was sure that they could do it; he wasn’t going to make a mistake this time.

Gerard could only think that he was lucky to get this chance with Hailey and the twins, however there was something that he wanted more than anything right now.