Chapter Twenty-Four: I Love You

Hailey sighed in relief as Gerard’s parents left, she had been pretty quiet since her talk with Amador; his words playing in her head as she tried to enjoy the rest of her evening with her in-laws.

Gerard had been speaking to his father when she had come downstairs after her talk and she had noticed something different about the way that he looked at her; it was clear he was planning something with Joan.

Hailey brushed her fingers through her hair as she made sure that everything was set for Boxing Day, they would be going to Gerard’s parents for dinner and she didn’t want a lot of fuss.

The twins were still overexcited from Christmas and were going to be a nightmare to get out of the house the next afternoon.

Gerard watched his wife, he needed to speak to her about her private talk with his grandfather; he didn’t want Hailey hiding things from him for any reason.

“I’m going to bed,” Hailey said as she smiled a little at Gerard, she was tired and being pregnant had left her a little drained after their long day; plus she didn’t want to talk with her husband right now.

Gerard frowned as he looked at her, he shook his head as he pushed himself to his feet and stopped her before she could go upstairs; he needed to talk to her without the twins hearing them.

“Gerard?” Hailey asked as she looked at her husband curious as to why he had stopped her, she brushed some hair from her face as she allowed him to sit her down on the couch.

Gerard took a deep breath as he held her hands in his own, he wasn’t going to let this night end before he had spoken to her; they needed to talk about this.

“I heard you talking with my abuelo,” Gerard said as he stared at his wife, Hailey might not have realised it but he had heard quite a bit and there was one part that worried him more than anything else.

“Why haven’t you forgiven yourself?” Gerard asked as he watched his wife, he hadn’t realised that she hadn’t and had been shocked when Amador had pointed it out.

Hailey looked down at their hands, she should have known that Gerard had been listening; he would have worried as soon as he realised that she was alone with his grandfather.

The couple were silent as Hailey tried to explain why she hadn’t forgiven herself, she peeked at Gerard who was waiting patiently for her to speak.

“I don’t deserve to forgive myself… I did something horrible to you,” Hailey said shaking her head as she looked at Gerard, she swallowed as she wondered how he had forgiven her.

Gerard sighed as he watched his wife, he carefully reached over and took her face in his hands; his blue eyes locked with hers as he brushed his thumbs against her cheeks.

“You did nothing wrong Hailey… none of this is your fault,” Gerard said as he smiled at her softly, he brushed his fingers gently as he spoke as he tried to calm her down.

Hailey swallowed as she closed her eyes, they had been through so much and things would have been so much easier if she had been upfront with him about her pregnancy with the twins.

Gerard took a deep breath as he leant forward and kissed her softly, his fingers tugging her close as they tangled in her hair.

“I don’t blame you for any of this Hails… this isn’t your fault and I don’t want this eating you alive,” Gerard said as he pulled away a little, his eyes watched Hailey’s face as tears formed in her eyes; he hated that she had been hurting and he hadn’t realised it.

Hailey was carrying his child and he feared for both of them if Gerard didn’t do something, she was going to be okay and he was determined to ensure the real people responsible were punished.

“Listen to me… this wasn’t your fault,” Gerard said as he kissed her again, he loved her more than anything and no one, not even her parents were going to take that away from him.

Hailey sniffled as she started to cry, she hated herself and she didn’t think that she deserved someone like Gerard in her life; he deserved someone so much better than her and she was sure he would be happy without her.

“Hailey listen to me… I don’t want anyone else, it’s always going to be you,” Gerard said as he made her look at him, he wanted her to let this go; he had a plan and her parents were never going to hurt them again after he had destroyed everything that they had held close.

Harold relied on a lot of publicity for his career and it would all go away when the truth came out; he would never meddle in Hailey’s life again.

“I love you,” Gerard said as he wiped away her tears, he didn’t like the fact that she was suffering and he wished he had realised sooner; he had been so focused on him that he hadn’t even realised.

Hailey swallowed as she smiled a little, she didn’t know how but those words made her feel so much better; she took a deep breath as she tried to calm herself down.

“I love you too,” Hailey said softly as she closed her eyes, she wasn’t sure what it was but hearing him say all of this allowed a weight to be lifted from her shoulders.

Gerard smiled as he kissed her, he would never allow her to think that she wasn’t good enough; Hailey was everything that he had ever wanted and that was it for him.

***

Gerard deepened the kiss as Hailey tried to prepare for bed, he couldn’t believe that this was their first Christmas together; he hoped the next one would be a lot more peaceful for them.

Hailey wrapped her arms around his neck, her lilac button detail nightie riding up a little as they kissed; she felt a lot more relaxed after their talk, she had a feeling that things would slowly start to look up for them.

Gerard pulled back a little and smiled, she seemed a lot more relaxed and he was happy that he had taken her mind off what had happened; however he still needed to ask something of her.

“I want us to forget the past… no more thinking about what happened,” Gerard said as he rested his head against hers, he brushed hair from Hailey’s face as he wondered what the future would hold for them.

Hailey opened her mouth to say something when Gerard stopped her, he kissed her tenderly as he looked her; he didn’t want her doubting anything that could happen between them.

“No… we are just going to think about our future, you, me, the twins and baby,” Gerard said as he pulled back from Hailey, he smiled a little as he watched her; he was sure that once he had dealt with her parents that everything would be perfectly fine between them.

Hailey swallowed as she watched her husband, she could see what he was doing and she wasn’t sure if they could let go of the past.

Her parents were an ever present threat to their marriage and family, Hailey didn’t think that it was possible but she would do this for Gerard.

“Okay,” Hailey whispered as she pressed her lips to Gerard’s, she would do anything for him and she was sure that they were going to be okay; they had been through so much and now they had a chance to move forward.

Gerard carefully ran his hands down her body, he lifted her up and wrapped her legs around his body; he was going to make sure that Hailey knew just how much he loved her.

The footballer walked towards their bed, they had all night and Gerard hoped the twins wouldn’t wake up in the middle of it while he was making love to Hailey.