Three

I woke up in the hospital and looked around, finding Phoenix fast asleep on the floor beside the bed.

I threw a pillow at him and he jerked awake, quickly getting up to sit on the bed. "Oh my god I'm so sorry."

I sat up and hugged him, bursting out crying. He hesitantly wrapped his arms around me and rocked me, hoping to calm me down before I started hyperventilating.

He managed to relax me and handed me my inhaler, letting me take a puff before putting it in his pocket. "How are you feeling?"

"Better. Um, when do I get to leave?" I asked.

"Now." He replied, handing me a bag of my clothes. "Get dressed and I'll take you home."
____________________________________

That night we walked into the club and I nervously looked around at all the people, taking a puff from my inhaler.

There were dancers and customers everywhere, shouting over the loud music. Phoenix led me to a secluded stage in the back and sat down in the big chair, crossing his legs. "Let's see what you can do."

"M-my interview?" I asked.

He nodded. "Unless, you're not well enough yet. Then you can just sit in my office with me."

"No it's okay, I just didn't have time to prepare anything special for you."

"Doesn't matter. Show me what you can do with no preparation."

I smiled and started some music, climbing up the pole and moving fluidly to the beat. I spun and twisted and curled, sliding down the pole with a blissed out face and landing on my knees.

I ground against the pole, making it seem like I was trying to pleasure myself, biting my lip and crawling towards the edge of the stage when I saw Phoenix's stunned look.

The song ended and I giggled, standing up. "So, what do you think?"

"Oh you are going to bring in so much business." He sighed. "You're amazing. Best I've ever seen."

I giggled and jumped off the stage, leaning against the wall. "Um, are you alright?"

He nodded and stood up. "Yeah. Why?"

"You just seem, a little off lately." I said. "You know I'm here if you want to talk, right?"

He nodded. "Of course."

"A-are you sure you know?" I asked. "B- because I do want you to open up to- ah!"

He slammed me against the wall in a swift motion, his hand gripping my wrist. "Don't you ever try to get inside my mind!" He kept me locked in his gaze, then looked down and loosened his grip. "It's too dark for someone like you to understand."

He let go and fell to his knees in front of me, fumbling with a bottle of pills he took from his pocket. He took two and put the bottle away, trembling. "I'm sorry. Are you injured?"

I stared at him for a moment, unable to understand what happened. "I- I....."

He stood up and looked me over, clearly upset with himself. "I'm so sorry Niko. I didn't mean to do that."

I fell to my knees and looked at the floor, reverting to my days working as a prostitute. "I'm sorry sir. Really I am."

He knelt in front of me and lifted my face, making me look into his eyes. "Niko, please believe that I didn't mean to hurt you. I'd never ever do that to you. There's just, some things that I need to explain but I can't right now."

I hiccupped and he shook his head, taking my hand. "No no no no no don't cry. Oh please don't cry. I swear I didn't mean to scare you."

I burst out sobbing and hid my face in my hands, unable to stop it. Phoenix quickly drew me into his arms, holding me gently and rubbing my back. He kept apologizing, each one with more feeling then the last.