Nine

The next week Phoenix took me to a small restaurant in the middle of town and led me inside, smiling. "It's not much, but it gets enough business to keep it open."

"Are you kidding?" I giggled. "I love it!"

"You do?" He asked.

"Yes! This is the cutest, most amazing restaurant I've ever seen!" I sighed, kissing him. "You're so amazing."

He smiled and led me to a private room, pulling a chair out for me. "For my love."

I sat down and picked up the small tower on the table, looking at it. "This is adorable. I feel like a prince."

"How so?" He asked, handing me a glass of wine.

"Being treated to a nice dinner date by my prince charming. I'd say I feel like a princess, but I'm not a woman." I giggled. "This is lovely, Phoenix."

"You might as well be a woman." He said. "You sure move like one. Not just when you're dancing either."

I blushed and took a sip of my wine, smiling. "You even have good wine. Aww babe this is amazing."

"It's for you." He said, downing his wine. "I'm gonna need something stronger. Julie, a scotch."

"Are you trying to get wasted?" She asked.

"Yes." He said. "I didn't take my pain killers today."

She sighed and brought out a round of scotch, watching Phoenix with distaste as he downed the whole glass.

"Um, babe, are you okay?" I asked.

"Yeah. I just wanna be drunk before work." He sighed. "I've got a meeting with a total bitch."
____________________________________

Later I was out on the floor of the club, giving some guy a lap dance. I stood up when he grabbed my ass and whipped around, sitting on his lap and grabbing his throat. "No touching."

He nodded and I got up, taking the bills from his hand. "Thank you."

I finished the dance and walked away, finding Phoenix standing outside my room, waiting. "Hi babe."

"What are you doing outside your room?" He asked.

"It's my night on the floor." I said. "Remember, you told me to go out?"

"I don't remember that." He said, pulling me inside. "I told you to stay in your room."

"Phoenix let go. You're hurting me." I whimpered. "Please."

He let go and turned around, realizing the state he was in. "Oh god, I've done it again haven't I?"

I stepped back and grabbed a spare bottle of pills from a drawer in a table, throwing it at him. "Take your fucking medication."

I went backstage and locked myself in my changing room, sitting on the floor. I heard Phoenix run back and fall to his knees in front of the door. "Baby, I'm sorry!"

"You're drunk!" I snapped. "Just go away! I'm taking the rest of the night off."

"You can't do that!" He said. "Niko you're my best dancer!"

"I said I'm taking the night off!" I shouted. "I'm just not feeling it anymore."

He sighed and slid something under the door. "Okay. I love you, Niko. I'll be in my office if you need anything."

He left and I picked up the box he'd slid under the door, opening it and finding a small rose shaped hard candy inside. I set it down and looked at my wrist, finding it bruised from his grip.
____________________________________