Eight

Three years later I woke up alone, looking around. "Phoenix?"

"Right here my love." He said, walking out of the bathroom. "Drew you a hot bath. I know you worked really hard last night."

I sat up and pressed a kiss to his lips, looking at him confused. "Are you on acid again?"

"No. Today is a very special day though." He said. "You're a prince today."

"I'm a prince every day." I said. "What's different about today?"

"We're going on a special date day." He said. "You go sit in the bath while I make you breakfast, okay? I love you."
____________________________________

A few hours later Phoenix and I went to a fancy restaurant, sitting at a table. He nodded to a waiter and he brought over some red wine, setting the bottle down with the glasses. "Here you are sir."

"It's a little early for wine, isn't it?" I asked.

"Never too early for wine." He said. "What do you want to eat?"

"I don't know. This isn't where we usually go for lunch." I said. "What are we doing here?"

"Just order honey." He said, smiling. "I have a special surprise for you."

We ordered and got our food, eating it quickly. Phoenix looked up at me and smiled, a strange glint in his eye. "So, how's your food?"

"It's good." I said. "When are you gonna tell me what we're here for?'

"Well, if you must know." He said, standing up. "I did bring you here for something very special."

He pulled a small box from his pocket and got down on one knee, looking up at me. "Niko, we've known each other for a few years and you've been living with me since we met, and since I got my medications straightened out I figured it was time for this step. Honey, you are the sweetest, most caring, most beautiful man I've ever known. You look like a model, move like a stripper, and have the heart of an innocent three year old. So I wanted to ask you a question."

"Ask away." I giggled, crying a little.

"Niko Kerigan, will you do me the honour of becoming my husband?" He asked, opening the box. "Or rather, will you marry me?"

I burst into tears and nodded, hugging him. "Yes, Phoenix. Yes I will absolutely marry you!"

He grinned and slid the ring on my finger, kissing me. "I love you so much."

"I love you too." I smiled, still crying. "Oh my god I'm so happy."

Everyone started clapping and froze when we heard a gun cock, quickly getting on the floor.

"You two!" Someone shouted. "We don't take kindly to people like you!"

Phoenix pushed a button on his watch and alerted the police, sitting me on the floor. "Stay down baby."

I crawled under the table and screamed as someone grabbed my foot, dragging me out. They stood over me with their gun pointed at my heart, a heartless look in their eyes. "I don't like people like you."
____________________________________

I woke up in the hospital and looked around, seeing Phoenix in a bed beside me, tubes in his throat and multiple machines hooked up to his body.

I threw the oxygen mask off and pulled the IV out, quickly forcing myself out of bed and over to him. "Phoenix! Babe wake up!"

"What are you doing out of bed?!" Someone demanded. "You shouldn't be walking for another week!"

"Why isn't he awake?!" I cried.